New analysis confirms Vinland map drawn with modern ink, is fake as heck

Originally published at: New analysis confirms Vinland map drawn with modern ink, is fake as heck | Boing Boing

11 Likes

If I could time travel, I’d be tempted to piss off every archeologist, art historian, and pigment analyst by teaching the Egyptians or Romans about the joys of titanium dioxide pigment.

7 Likes

You’d also want to convince them to build a mass spectrometer to seperate out the Ti-44 isotope to further confound future archeologists

10 Likes

Indeed, finding an ancient Egyptian mass spectrometer would be pretty surprising, I agree.

23 Likes

Can you imagine the ancient aliens dudes minds blowing when they find a pyramid with a series of gas centrifuges in the basement?

15 Likes

I’d settle for handing out a few cases of ball-point pens.

16 Likes

Boy, really had me going there…

10 Likes

Right? Now my whole worldview has changed! :exploding_head:

9 Likes

Is… is that a pigment pun?

27 Likes

Two related things for the intellectually curious:

The very-racist-in-origin “Nordic Revival” of the ~1870s - 1930s;

and

L’Anse aux Meadows.

Illustration of the former: my town’s weathervane atop City Hall

8 Likes

I dunno how many people got the final pun, but it made my morning.

11 Likes

It was one of those lines where I knew this was a Beschizza without having to look at the byline. :joy: slow clap

16 Likes

No shit, Sherlock

3 Likes

Yes, it was quite iron-ic.

12 Likes

With all the trouble the hoaxer went to, how hard would it have been to whip up a batch of authentically 15th century ink? I made some walnut ink myself last year, and it worked pretty well. I could have thrown in a few iron nails to darken it. With a little care, I’m sure I could have kept it free of modern contaminants.

The provenance remains unclear. For all we know the perpetrator may well have been Gallic.

6 Likes

“…didn’t have the gall to pull it off.”? Fie, Sir! Fie! He who would pun would pick a pocket

8 Likes

L’Anse aux Meadows

Kim Stanley Robinson wrote a short story “Vinland the Dream” about L’Anse aux Meadows, wherein the narrator discovers that the whole thing was a brilliantly executed hoax.

3 Likes

If the forgery worked for a century I’d say he did a pretty good job. He might not have cared if some future super science managed to expose him long after his death.

11 Likes

8 Likes

I suspect that the chance to use that pun was the entire reason for the rest of the post.

18 Likes