New iPhone

Gold and colors for markets outside the US. Mainly China. It is a big place, you know.

1 Like

Because once every 12 years would lead one to believe that there is something crazy going on.

2 Likes

If there is zeroth world problems it is anti-fan-boys clogging teh internets with dis-approbation the day of an Apple product launch.

4 Likes

All I’ve got to say is that the iPhone 6 better be the fucking BOMB, or Apple is going to start to find itself feeling awfully squeezed.

Now, no Apple lover here, but that’s not a fair criticism of their products.

Still, not giving up my universally adaptable micro-USB anytime soon :wink:

What is the RAM going to be, anyhow?

3 Likes

I doubt this. I believe that Smartphones have come to an end in 2011 or so. Apple - as others - will continuously irmprove their smartphone line, but rely on the strength of their eco system. That’s where they still have the lead on all other Hardware vendors. Android isn’t in a position to establish something similar, since Google’s and the smartphone builders’ interests are diametral to each other in this regard and it remains to be seen if Google can draw anyone completely into their services.

The iPhone 6 will come, but it will be not the next big thing. The next big thing to the iPhone was the iPad, so finding a new next big thing (that’s actually useful) is where Apples’s work is at.

Why do people expect something revolutionary every time. It is a solved problem now, so incremental improvements. A 64 bit processor, a bigger lens on the camera and fingerprint ID. Speed, quality and convenience, things everyone wants. These improvements are more than brand dressing and they will all adopt them eventually. As Apple has adopted the successes of the others.

NSA NSA NSA NSA NSA NSA NSA NSA NSA NSA NSA NSA NSA NSA NSA

Yeah, that too.

2 Likes

By being disappointed you must have had some expectation that an SD card slot would be included? What would ever make you think that?

1 Like

SD Cards are a religious issue and can’t be sanely discussed.

4 Likes

“it remains to be seen if Google can draw anyone completely into their services.”

Whatever you’re smoking, I want some.

Google still has some large gaps in their services and their presence is mostly limited to browsers and smartphones.

This is true, but I think Google is betting that the future of computing is in the cloud. If this is the case, it then becomes easy (less difficult?) to sell Chromebooks, tablets, and smartphones as your only computing devices.

And, with their latest moves, I wouldn’t be surprised to see Apple moving toward iOS as their only, or at least major, operating system. Your iPhone becomes your primary computing device which can then be “plugged in” to your laptop or computer, perhaps pairing up to increase computing power when needed…

I am curious, is addressing memory become a problem on mobile?

The thing I look for in an Apple announcement these days is … nothing stupid.

Don’t try to sell me a revolutionary maps app that sends me to Pakistan when I try to get directions to an Indian restaurant.

Don’t sell me revolutionary speech detection software that has some sort of personal vengeful vendetta against me, thank you HAL.

I am perfectly happy with the same device, twice as fast with a significantly better performing camera, in low light.

The fingerprint sensor, unlike speech comprehension, is a solved computer science problem. Technically, it can be implemented in such a way that the majority of users can use it effectively to solve a real world problem, namely the crappy “ilovetwerking” Apple password they all seem to be using.

Overall, I am happy with the iPhone announcement.

2 Likes

If they tell me it means faster I believe them.

Obviously I am technically naive about these things, but what I wanted from a retina display iPad, namely full screen video, is not possible so far. I assume more processor power and higher bandwidth means more pixels going past my eyes.

Am I wrong to believe this? seriously?

And all that stuff they are doing with the camera. Multiple exposures being evaluated on the fly and combined (or best chosen, some slippery language there) and presented before you are aware of clicking the button. This must be using the 64 bit stuff to do that. 120 frame video at high resolution? This is all data gobbling and would be faster with 64 bit. No?

Listen closer to what Apple said: 64bit processors can be up to twice as fast.

That is true, if you’re doing worth with big data on your phone, you’re going to see a big improvement from the jump to 64bits. However, for the vast majority of phone apps today and in the near future you are not going to see any major improvements from the jump to 64 bit. The processor is just plain faster than the previous one though, so don’t worry about that, but the speed doesn’t come from the wider instruction set.

In fact if Apple could (maybe they can?) turn on 64 bit support on and older phone, you would probably notice it being slightly slower in most applications, this is because it puts more pressure on the memory bus which is already a bottleneck in many applications.

Doing the 64 bit transition now is just future proofing. There aren’t many immediate benefits.