New Macbooks and Imacs will brick themselves if they think they're being repaired by an independent technician

Indeed. The iPhone 5s, which is 5 years old, is still supported and works just fine under the latest version of iOS. People report it is too slow, but that is usually because the memory is full. Keep some space free, don’t use animated backgrounds and it works like a charm.

I am not aware of an Android phone which is still officially supported after 5 years.

2 Likes

I was talking about the iMac Pro. It’s socketed. iMac Pro Base Model Teardown Reveals 2x SSD RAID Configuration and Four 8GB DIMM Modules - MacRumorsHow to Upgrade iMac Pro SSD (Replace Storage): EveryMac.com

The question is whether Apple is being motivated purely by profit. Your point seems to be that understanding the technical specifics is necessary to making that determination. I both disagree, and call bullshit since you got those technical specifics wrong.

2 Likes

ummm…that is the imac pro, it is socketed and not as fast as what is being discussed and can absolutely be replaced or upgraded.

it is not the macbook pro which the one being discussed and has the security enclave, or the next generation macbook or imacs not released yet which have the security enclave and are not socketed (discussed in article).

it isn’t what is being discussed by me or you or the article because it can both be upgrade/replaced and isn’t the fastest available one soldered on to get the extra PCIe lanes. get your info sorted and know what you are talking about before calling bullshit on someone who obviously knows a lot more about this hardware, the hubris. smdh.

you have to understand the unique way the macbook pros ssds, the ones aren’t upgradeable or replaceable are engineered to know why they were engineered that way. but enough work talk, i’m off the clock.

1 Like

So, because you misread my post, now I’m the one who’s wrong about something?

Why do you claim the SSD in the iMac pro can be upgraded? If you can establish that’s the case, I’m all ears.

didn’t misread. those are NVMe with a custom controller chip.

That may be referring to the fact that, on the recent MacBook pros, the official replacement part for the keyboard is essentially the entire upper case. Keyboard is glued in fairly enthusiastically, touch bar is as well (and a sliver of LCD like that is pretty vulnerable if you need to pry it up. The fingerprint sensor is somewhat easier to remove but also integrated.

The top aluminum doesn’t perform security functions and is generally not the reason for the replacement; but the module in question includes enough parts that do fall I that category that replacing it will indeed be affected.

2 Likes

So, for my dusty old mid-2010 Macbook Pro, I have so far: replaced the battery (worn out), replaced the HD (upgraded), replaced the L and R fans (about 3 times each, as they wear out), removed the CD drive (for weight, and reinstall when needed).

Are you saying, that for newer MBPs, each of these procedures would require a hefty payment to the mothership?

That’s nuts. Upon daily use, fans will degrade in 2-3 years, batteries will degrade in 5-6.
And you’re saying I cant upgrade the SSD without soldering? WTF.

4 Likes

I have to say I have not found this to be the case at all recently (it certainly was an issue some years ago). These days the onboard stuff on anything vaguely mainstream all seems to work straight out of the box and pretty much everything peripheral simply plugs in and works perfectly.

With the big exception of printers.

There are many, many printers that work perfectly with Linux. Sod’s Law decrees that the printer you currently have will not be one of them.

There may be a driver that sort of works. There may be a mythical driver allegedly downloadable from the vendor’s website somewhere hidden on the Japanese language section (archived from 2016, it’s not on the current version obviously).

But your printer will not work pefectly. The previous version, sure. The model after, definitely. Your model won’t.

Maybe that’s just me be being the equivalent of Newton Pulsifer when it comes to buying printers.

I wouldn’t put anyone off using Ubuntu on that account though. If you’re non-techy enough to be worried about the fact that you’re non-techy, you probably don’t need anything that Ubuntu won’t do just as well/easily as Windows and printers are cheap enough these days that you can just look one up that definitely works with Linux and buy that.

Then complain about the ink costs of course.

4 Likes

Windows is no better. I have literally had to do this for a scanner which had drivers for Windows 7, but not on any of the English or German language pages.

It would have been easier to buy a new scanner, if I could have afforded it at the time.

3 Likes

People keep saying this, but I’ve installed Linux on three four laptops (one HP, one two ASUS, one Lenovo), and I’ve had precisely one driver issue (wifi, natch), which took maybe half an hour of googling and farting around to solve.

3 Likes

Maybe it’s the fact that trend line is increasing that makes Apple decide to do shit like this, to try and reshape the curve as much as they can. Their business model does require people to buy more stuff as often as possible, after all.

Hi Sierra 10.13.2.

The MBP is mid 2012, Intel i7 @ 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, 750GB SSD and 16GB graphics.

1 Like

I’m also on a iPhone 6. Works just fine and always has.

2 Likes

In their latest press event, they had a segment on how green they are, in which they said their goal is to make their products more durable and last even longer.

Actually their business model is to create as many happy satisfied customers as they possibly can, to ensure that those customers come back and buy from Apple again when they need a new device (this is why Tim Cook is so obsessed with customer satisfaction figures). In which case it makes perfect sense for them to produce gadgets that last a long time and that can be passed down to friends/relatives/kids/people on craigslist. The more old secondhand gadgets there are being used, the more overall customers they have and the more products they will sell when those customers eventually need a replacement device.

1 Like

Well maybe it’s six of one and half a dozen of the other, but as for

Hmm - pretty much everything Apple does to my software and hardware makes me more unhappy and dissatisfied. Maybe I’m not considered one of their customers any more. But if everyone else is happy and satisfied, good for them.

Apple is a very opinionated company, if you don’t like their opinions on what is right, they are not the people to buy products from. They think the future of computing is appliance-like devices that cannot be upgraded. They think the future of software is more IOS-like and less MacOS-like. This is driving away the nerdier, more tech-savvy customers, but it doesn’t (yet) seem to be having any significant negative impact on the vast majority of their customer base.

3 Likes

Cory spent the last two days writing about how other companies are inserting chips into Apple’s servers.

Therfore, Apple is at fault for not verifying that the hardware is secure.

Cory is now writing about how Apple is ensuring that the personal computers we use are protected from folks inserting unauthorized chips into the circuit boards, protecting the system by ensuring that the circuitry is unaltered.

And now Apple is at fault for verifying that the hardware is secure.

7 Likes

Puri.sm if you want a nice laptop that’s FOSS inside-out.

But I actually recommend people get a cheap $60-$300 Thinkpad if they want to try it and install Linux on it. Usually the only problem is a Broadcom card, which is surmountable. I don’t recommend dual boot for beginners.

I actually think the path to Linux is to replace programs on your current OS with libre alternatives and once you have a workflow, the switch is pretty easy.

5 Likes

If you’re going to “raise” someone, you might check on how the predictions have worked out. Perlow said “it could result in generational damage to the brand”. How’s that working out? Apple out of business yet? Their stock tanking? No one buying Apple anymore? It’s been six months since the article you “raised” with. Surely we should be able to start gauging the effects by now, right?

1 Like

Oh, great…thanks Apple…

I recently had a HELL of a time replacing the HDD in my old MacBook Pro with a stock SSD from a well-known manufacturer…the SSD wasn’t fully TRIM compatible, and while the recovery process seemed to work at first, as the system went on to automatically update itself, the compatibility issues made it impossible.

Apple’s own support community was FULL of bad information on this topic that led me to return 2 separate SSDs, and wasted weeks!

It finally seems to be working, but now I am afraid to attempt to upgrade it past El Capitan, lest it malfunction, yet again…

3 Likes