New SCUBA depth record set, 1090 feet

1 Like

Presumably, thatā€™s how bsac can get away with a 50 meter limit.

Pretty much. The training can also be much more errm, in depth. It stems from the conditions and types of diving around the UK, along with the idea of continual learning within a club environment. Thereā€™s no pressure on it being a pass/fail course, it takes as long as it takes. This sort of thing isnā€™t always practical for other agencies.

2 Likes

Probably concentrated on keeping his gases balanced and watching the clock on his decompression stops.

The thing about trimix is you have to keep the oxygen at a constant partial pressure (basically what it is at sea-level) without letting it get low enough to suffocate you or high enough to poison you. The nitrogen you canā€™t allow above a certain partial pressure (I forget what, I guess about 80% of the pressure at 130ā€™) else you get nitrogen narcosis. So the remaining pressure has to be made up by helium, and the danger with that is that above a certain pressure you get HPNS (high pressure nervous syndrome), the shakes, as you remember from The Abyss. And the trimix pressure has to increase with depth to stop your lungs collapsing. So you have to vary the mix all the way down and up.

It must concentrate the mind wonderfully. Iā€™m sure the time flew by.

2 Likes

Dear America,

Metric happened. Quite a while ago. Youā€™re welcome.

Love ā€˜nā€™ hugs,
The rest of the world.

2 Likes

Approximately how many decimal years?

8 Likes

Megaseconds and gigaseconds would be more in keeping with the spirit of the International System

4 Likes

Iā€™m surprised the process isnā€™t automated. Having a highly involved manual process is one thing, but when your first sign of error is confusion and trouble thinking you are just asking for trouble.

1 Like

I remember those childhood road trips, when Dad wouldnā€™t stop for food, relaxation or relief, and that one time when there was a bee in the back seat. ā€œOnly two hours to go. Itā€™ll fly back out the window by then. Just stop screaming and waving around. Itā€™ll ignore you.ā€

No thanks, indeed.

1 Like

One of the most feared animals for those divers that have air supplied by hoses from the surface is not a shark, not a barracuda, but a humble fly. Get one sucked in and pumped down, and it buzzes in your helmet, walks over your face, and you can not swat it, you can not do anything. Except perhaps eating it.

2 Likes

I thought you guys liked your time periods in four-scores.

1 Like

I am the Monarch of the sea?
I am the ruler of the Queenā€™s Navee?

2 Likes

You can have my hogshead when you pry it from my cold, dead fingers.

2 Likes

This is a record broken, though it is not like landing on a celestial body which takes literally astronomical sums to accomplish, yet it seems to be to a great extent not proving a great skill but rather taking a great risk and mostly waving a great deal of money around. If this is just a regular dive instructor wearing a huge pack of mix bottles and careful checklisting of time, depth, and mix I retract my snark and offer a real congratulations, hard to tell from the story.

from Guinness

In order to make the record dive, numerous precautions and preparations needed to be taken to ensure Ahmedā€™s safety and success. The special forces officer in the Egyptian Army has spent 17 years as a diving instructor and used the last four training for the attempt. He submitted his original application of intent to Guinness World Records more than a year before his dive.

But even people who know what they are doing die in the attempt-- I suspect that those who donā€™t know what they are doing donā€™t even come close-- narcosis takes over.

OK, not just a millionaireā€™s cash burning stunt then. I am not adverse to risk, and celebrate it when there is an end to a demonstrated means, but I am not sure that he accomplished more than a hyper complicated and dangerous version of a breath holding contest.
I feel like this method is just copious work and danger but a dead end with little application other than taking a spot in a records book published by a beer company.

God, I wish it was still published by a beer company. When Guinness ran the show the Book had integrity. These days the actual publication is a tiny 250 pages, with most of that glossy color pictures, and they spend most of their time trying to figure out how to award records to [currently popular thing] so they can get free advertising. ā€œFirst Musical Ensemble Simulation Video Games!ā€ Yes, Games, plural! Because apparently thatā€™s how records work now!

I said that with a sneer, but it is actually kinda cool that Guinness recognized that their patrons were also the type to boast world records and would like to have a good compendium to settle attendant wagers. One of the most popular books for a 4th grader to keep in their backpack back in the 80s.

Maybe it was.

Thereā€™s somewhat more detail in this article: http://scoopempire.com/inside-worlds-deepest-dive-egyptian-ahmed-gabr/

2 Likes