New vehicles a "privacy nightmare" where you consent to carmakers collecting data on behavioral, biological, even sexual activity

23, 32, both are beloved of the Goddess.

Hail Eris. All Hail Discordia!

-><-

8 Likes

Well, it’s been several decades since I did that, but honestly if this is going to be the way of things, I would absolutely start up again. Nissan wants to collect that kind of data? Bring one of these to the next kinky camping event and making it available for anyone to use in their scenes. Choke on that data, Nissan.

(Not that I have plans to buy a Nissan, or any other car really, anytime soon.)

3 Likes

It doesn’t have to be YOUR Nissan …

4 Likes

Kristen Wiig Yep GIF by Where’d You Go Bernadette

Also… they will get involved in your personal life if you work with them…

Red Panda Embarrassment GIF by NETFLIX

6 Likes

I always wonder with these things, what happens when the vehicle is resold? Whoever bought it used is unlikely to sign any kind of authorization for the manufacturer to spy on them.

3 Likes

So yesterday the accessory 12Vdc battery on my Bolt died, and I tried to revive my bricked car by charging it. 24 hours later I have a new battery and everything is fine… but Chevy sent me this:

"
Dear Timothy Corrigan,
A critical issue with the engine and transmission system in your 2017 Chevrolet Bolt EV has been detected. Please service your vehicle immediately.

Please disregard this message if your vehicle is already in for service. Inaccurate notifications can be generated during service.

Please see your dealer for service.

then they send this info to me and my original dealer who’s now 150 miles from where I live. Sooo… my electric car has engine and transmission problems. Glad to see you spied on me to be this on top of it, GM.

4 Likes

I like our Bolt a lot. But the “service appointment” for a complimentary oil change was stupid. And the OnStar solicitations were very aggressive for a while.
:pensive: I don’t like the idea of being spied on. But I wanted an EV when our old car died

5 Likes

First thing I did when I got a chevy spark just before covid was dig into the rear ceiling to disconnect the satellite antenna. Last inspection listed service monitoring as not working, so I’m pretty sure I’m still in the clear. When I get my cracked windshield replaced I’ve gotta air gap the useless onstar buttons that tend to get bumped when I adjust the rear view mirror.

I’m probably voiding some term of some warranty, but so far so good. Keeping my fingers crossed.

4 Likes

At what point is this ‘contract’ signed? Presumably it is part of the purchase process?

It would not take many people per dealer to read it and say ‘nah - not signing that - sale is off’ before dealers told the mfrs where to go.

(Who am I kidding? (a) most people won’t read it, any more than they read Paypal’s Ts&Cs, for example, and if they did they wouldn’t care, and (b) manufacturers are slowly getting rid of independent dealer franchises anyway, certainly here in Europe - e.g. I believe that if you buy an ICE Volvo in UK you buy from the dealer, but if you buy an EV Volvo, you buy direct from Volvo and the dealer just does the delivery stuff for a fee from Volvo. Or something like that.)

And I look forward to the first writ alleging privacy breaches by a manufacturer, from a second-hand buyer who never saw any such contract, or signed one, as @simonize also alludes to.

ETA

Only two of the 25 brands reviewed, Renault and Dacia, owned by the same parent company, stated that drivers had the right to delete their personal data. Renault and Dacia cars are headquartered in Europe, where consumers are protected by General Data Protection Regulation privacy law.

1 Like

Huh. Mine is paid off. I should definitely kill that.

1 Like

That’s hilarious!

But now it’s got me thinking: how would they know? Would it be motion sensors? Are there cameras constantly spying on us? Microphones? How would they even get genetic information? Swab for skin cells and hair at the dealership?

Driving habits, location, interior functions I understand, but how are they going to get those other things?

2 Likes

Remember the article posted here about what Tesla’s cameras have captured? Yeah … :grimacing: Microphones have been standard in many vehicles for at least a decade. (Even my 2014 Ford Focus has a built-in mic.)

Obviously the genetic information is acquired via sensors in the grip of the steering wheel! You want to make sure you’re getting as much information as possible about everyone that drives the vehicle, right? Motion sensors in the car cross checked with inertia data should help with the vehicle sexual activity correlation (the VSA factor, if you will) but this might not be enough! Are the participants in the backseat or on the hood? How many people can you fit inside a Nissan and still have adequate room for everyone to enjoy themselves?

Anyway …

3 Likes

What @awfulhorrid said plus wifi hotspot issues. Most of the latest cars have the option, for a price, of serving as a wifi hotspot for phones. Potentially everything sent via that connection could be collected

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.