New York Comic-Con hijacks attendees' Twitter accounts to send out shilling tweets

All the decency and respect for boundaries of a PUA, combined with the keenly-honed logic chopping skills of an Scholastic metaphysician? Perfect marketing spokesweasel!

1 Like

Nah, these guys are cool. They use words like "for realz" in their registration instructions. Just like all the cool demographics use.

Nothin’ tin-eared-markety-fake about that right there!

Kick ass!

I do not and never will have a Twitter account, so I’m somewhat ignorant of such things, but is there any reason why you’d link something to your Twitter account other than to have it send tweets in your name? I constantly see apps and websites asking if I want to link them to my nonexistent Twitter account, and I’ve always assumed that’s what they were going to do.

Many forums, newspapers, magazines, etc, are moving to Twitter or Facebook login because they don’t have to deal with the whole login database thing, and Facebook/Twitter supposedly have requirements about using “real names”, which helps promote civility in the forums.

When you log in that way, there’s usually an option to “share my comment on” Facebook or Twitter (with varying levels of obscurity of that setting, depending on the site), that requires you to give permission to that site to post on social media.

Oh yeah, whenever I see those links that go “Your friend X liked this article “Why flubbers are blubbery”, click here to read”, and when you click there it brings you to a permission page that says that said news organization will mine all of your data and make posts on your behalf and have you wash its car on the weekends if you want to read that article, well, I just google the headline instead and read the article without all of that jazz.

That’s also why I never ever click the Facebook or Twitter buttons on a website. I always copy the URL down and paste it in manually to avoid any of that nonsense.

Also, this is the first I’ve heard of Twitter have a real names policy. I have a totally fake an unused Twitter account I use for sites that obnoxiously need a login like that.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.