New York Times editorial board calls for marijuana legalization: "Repeal Prohibition, Again"

Such as…

3 Likes

If that wasn’t rhetorical, I believe some of us operate under 'there but for the grace of god go I" and others under “better him than me”.

For many, that jackboot on someone -elses- throat is the only sign of success they have. Just my 2 cents.

3 Likes

Yes, could you explain what is ‘plenty’ obvious to you? All I see in your comment is taste, and that’s not more scientific than the opinion you’re waving away as unscientific. Are you high?

4 Likes

Sufficiently advanced stupidity is indistinguishable from evil. People whose stupidity harms others get no more of a pass from me than if they did it out of admitted malice. Especially since, in many cases, I don’t think anyone actually could be that stupid, and strongly suspect that it’s a deliberate refusal to think about anything that might make them re-examine their prejudices and cultural values, rather than actually physically, congenitally lacking the intelligence to figure out the answer if they thought about it.

4 Likes

I bet if you thought about it, you could come to a less prejudiced and more culturally valuable viewpoint.

Intelligence and wisdom, they are just not the same thing.

Considering Obama´s resumé as a president so far, there are two conclusions for me to draw:

1. He´s the most dishonest piece of shit ever to sit in the White House.

2. The military industrial complex employs a squad of snipers instructed to keep their rifles trained on his wife´s and daughter´s foreheads at all times, ready to pull the trigger at a moment´s notice if he ever so much as thinks about disobeying his handler´s instructions.

4 Likes

I will freely admit to being implacably prejudiced against people who advocate violent oppression of me, my family, and my friends, in particular, and of other people in general. In the particular case, they are my enemies by anyone’s standards, and in the general case, they are the enemies of everyone who wants people to be able to live their own lives, free from fear. I feel a lot less compassion for those who need to violently oppress others in order to feel fulfilled than I feel for their victims.

1 Like

A bit of option 1 and a bit of option 2.

Besides a hearty “hear, hear” to this article and the commentors here today, there’s not a whole lot more to say…

sooo would it be too concern-troll-y of me to bring up the graphic design accompanying the article where the stars turn into pot leaves? It looks like something out of a reefer-madness-esque prohibtionist’s propoganda film montage where the good ol’ stars and stripes are twisted into a psychadelic nightmare, as their poor virgin golden fields of wheat are transformed overnight into pot fields by the now-lawless populace. Not really selling the “Pot is fine. this is a non issue, everyone does it, stop worrying about it and for christ’s sake stop throwing people in jail” angle…

Has anyone seen anything about the impact on organised crime / illicit narcotic distribution and profits, in the wake of the various state de-criminalisations?

It’s one of my key reasons for supporting legalisation.

1 Like

Well, for starters there’s going to prison, and having a record, and never being able to get a job, and keeping your family in poverty, and…

Oh wait…

11 Likes

Sadly I think your #2 was kind of the point. It had its desired effect.

1 Like

This is a great thing, but what bothers me about our great democracy is how hard it is to find a middle ground on anything. It seems obvious to me that weed should be legal, but not to advertise everywhere. I feel the same way about other “vices” including gambling, that we should be able to, but not ubiquitously encouraged to by the ad industry. But these industries co-opt the gov’t by making them revenue partners, and then it’s game over.

3 Likes

Yes indeed. The bonus was that it also disenfranchised those convicted of a felony, and made them ineligible to vote.

1 Like

Not my comment, but I have to agree to a certain point (although my agreeing does not mean I condone, in any way, shape, or form, the prohibition on MJ). Smoking weed, just like smoking tobacco, offers the potential for breathing issues simply because inhaling anything other than the right mix of Nitrogen and Oxygen (and trace gases) isn’t good for the human body. While I agree with the op-ed in that MJ is not as dangerous as drinking alcohol, let’s not fool ourselves in thinking MJ is the great wonderdrug that has no potential downsides.
It’s also worth mentioning that there has not been an acceptable level of research allowed on MJ b/c of onerous restrictions on obtaining research-quality samples/plants/subjects. Hopefully the relaxation of stupid towards the use of MJ will open allowable research into (what I consider to be) a plant of multitudinous uses.
And I write that as a past MJ smoker and one who happily supports the thrust of legalization.

2 Likes

All of these things are part of the “drug war casualty” (your own words). you said moderate pot use has risks beyond that.
So aside from the drug war casualties, what risks does moderate pot use pose to otherwise healthy adults?

Please define “moderate” and also list at least some of the many risk. For extra credit, please compare the risks with the risks from moderate use of alcohol.

5 Likes

I’m not taking issue with your position, I’m taking issue with your debate skills. You haven’t shown any evidence that you’ve considered the other side’s opinion & you sound a lot like the “Study it out” woman: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2E87gciwebw

I’d suggest a more balanced approach if you want to get traction. At least acknowledge the other side’s grievances and address them rather than take the low road and call them ignorant unthinking shits.

Don’t worry about them – many of those prisons have guaranteed occupancy rates

A new report by In the Public Interest, an anti-privatization group, reviewed 62 contracts for private prisons operating around the country at the local and state level. In the Public Interest found that 41 of those contracts included occupancy requirements mandating that local or state government keep those facilities between 80 and 100 percent full.

It seems that the country is moving towards the direction of needing space for political prisoners anyway…

4 Likes

Holy fucking shit-a-brick!

2 Likes