No more funeral home markups — you can now buy caskets direct for your corpse!

Isn’t there a vulture shortage or some other environmental issue affecting the Sky Burials in Tibet? (I didn’t google to find out because I didn’t feel like scrolling through articles that might have photos I don’t want to see, and Firefox no longer as an easy checkbox in Preferences to turn off autoloading of images.)

1 Like

Im obviously joking but where there’s a will there’s a way

1 Like

But it’s an actual burial practice, so it’s totally possible.

3 Likes
4 Likes

Only if signed by a reputable notary public. /s

4 Likes

I keep drifting back to “copper-plated one” and wondering why?!? What the hell is wrong with people that they want to waste money on such a thing? I’ll absolutely grant that it is their money to waste, but this is one of those things that I will never be able to grasp even intellectually because my mind simply refuses to process it. (Additionally I also understand that it’s rarely the end user that purchases the coffin.)

2 Likes

If it’s not signed, you get into the realm of “holographic wills,” which isn’t nearly as much fun as it sounds, but apparently still holds up in court no matter how many witnesses you have that will state the document in question is contrary to the deceased’s wishes at the end of life. Why yes, I am still a little pissed off about that, why might you ask? (It’s probably a good thing dad was dead anyway, because seeing his ex-wife’s* idiot son end up with that much of his property would have killed him.)

(* - Not my mother, who was his first wife.)

4 Likes

That’s the self clean option on your oven. Have your turkey first.

5 Likes

I do not want a copper casket because I would spend all my time polishing it because I hate that “lovely” green patina that people can’t wait for and eternity is a long time to keep it shiny.

I do want airtight because worms.

There is enough money so my daughter won’t have to pay and ultimately I will leave it up to her but she knows my wishes and is afraid of my ghost.

3 Likes

I’m guessing a lot of funeral homes will refuse to bury someone in a casket they don’t sell. My uncle was a funeral home owner until retirement when it was sold to a national chain, which from his telling was becoming the norm. After they sold they apparently got lots of complaints from families they had served about lack of attentive care and exclusive, overpriced services and items. His daughter (my cousin) actually began working for a company whose aim it was to provide more intimate care for families, but I can’t remember the name of it now.

2 Likes

But why? What purpose does not letting your body go through the natural process of decay serve?

FWIW, I’m of the opposite view, that I’d very like the most simple of caskets, maybe even just a shroud and to go straight into the ground. I’m personally more than okay with the natural process of decay, which can feed the environment around my body… I’m personally all for green funerals, but understand that not everyone is…

7 Likes

I want to be mostly intact when I walk the earth with the undead.

And I don’t want worms playing pinochle on my snout…

Don’t ever laugh as a Hearse goes by
For you may be the next to die
They wrap you up in a big white sheet
From your head down to your feet

They put you in a big black box
And cover you up with dirt and rocks
And all goes well for about a week
And then your coffin begins to leak

And the worms crawl in, the worms crawl out
The worms play pinochle on your snout
They eat your eyes, they eat your noes
They eat the jelly between your toes

A big green worm with rolling eyes
Crawls in your stomach and out your eyes
Your stomach turns a slimy green
And puss comes out like whipping cream

You spread it on a slice of bread
And that’s what you eat when your dead
And the worms crawl out and the worms crawl in
The worms that crawl in are lean and thin

The ones that crawl out are fat and stout
Your eyes fall in and your hair falls out
Your brain comes tumbling down your snout

And the worms crawl in, the worms crawl out
They crawl all over your dirty snout
Your chest caves in and your eyes pop out
And your brain turns to sauerkraut

They invite their friends, and their friends too
They all come down to chew on you
And this is what it is to die
I hope you had a nice goodbye

Did you ever think as a Hearse goes by
That you may be the next to die
And your eyes fall out and your teeth decay
And that is the end of a perfect… day

6 Likes

In the Before Times, a friend told me the terrible tale of having her traveling companion die on a vacation to see the Himalayas. It led me change the level of documentation I bring with me on trips. She was in a foreign country, dealing with a medical emergency for an unrelated person who died because of altitude sickness/heart attack. After that, she had to deal with the authorities for moving the body (which was cremated, because to do otherwise would’ve been worse in terms of transporting it back to the US). She wasn’t able to contact his family until she returned home with the ashes.

So, for those who enjoy travel - make sure your wishes (and contact information for someone authorized to carry them out) are well-documented and accessible, just in case.

7 Likes

That is work for Renfields.

1 Like

Oh, like that episode of Star Trek: The Next Generation when Tasha Yar was suddently written out of the show and then it turned out that she’d had the foresight to leave a recorded message for all the people she’d known for less than a season.

hologram

ETA: it just hit me that Tasha was friend-zoning Data from beyond the grave. Even for an emotionless machine that’s gotta hurt.

7 Likes

It’s been a federal law for a while. I wonder how many would risk investigation by the FTC.

2 Likes

Oh, really? That’s great.

I have often thought about building my own, but you know how is is with DIY projects. Maybe when I’ve retired?

4 Likes

That brings a whole new meaning to “the final nail in the coffin”.

1 Like

Legally they can’t refuse to let you bring your own casket. But I bet they have all sorts of spiels about how it would be really bad idea and your dead relative and your current family will all suffer horribly if you do. There are undoubtedly entire chapters in funeral home sales manuals on how to convince people not to bring their own casket.

The funeral provider cannot refuse to handle a casket or urn you bought online, at a local casket store, or somewhere else — or charge you a fee to do it. The funeral home cannot require you to be there when the casket or urn is delivered to them.

2 Likes