No one's coming - it's up to us: it's past time for technologists to be responsible to society

jeopardy

5 Likes

That’s the HARD TECH way? You didn’t like the wave powered medium-aggregator ones from …couldn’t have been two weeks ago? What about the bioengineered kelp that pull little plastic knives on the urchins that make them scarce? (Okay, nobody’s done that and surely it’s the underperforming starfish that could just use some momentary aid, eh?)

Don’t wait for private companies…

The East African Privateer has seen better days! It’s the demise of print I tell ya’, just no more B&N at the docks at which to plot.

)ironic doubling down on not reading
I think I’ll take that; a fine newsletter Dan Hon has, and the Medium page full o’ commercial utopian art eventually made my scroll wheel or firefox quite a bunch of uneveness and pause. That is, I think I might’ve needed the softball pitch to the article and a quick link to 3/4+7i way through the article, then nonetheless fumbled or allowed interception or net protection. Snowcross Derby hijinks it was not.

I guess I still need the Allyson Bechdel of Square but for TOS spray-grip . (WakandaWakabaTech. Scratch that I gotta see the movies twice first. The two Utena movies and the series parody short (also by CLAMP) and Black Panther.)

Or also maybe labor unions that push for worker protections and other forms of unrest?

4 Likes

That strikes me as a uniquely western and even American perspective — given how few other countries have a law akin to our first amendment.

3 Likes

IIRC some ~88% of people lifted out of “poverty” in the new millennium are Chinese.

1 Like

I think it’s inevitable that companies like Bodega would emerge because capital owners want higher returns at shorter spans of time. No longer are the Moon shots allowed unless it’s offset by a sure thing and even then it’s rare that those even get funded. This is why capitalism can’t get us off the Earth or solve the problem of global warming or the solve the problem of the fresh water crisis because the return on solutions to those problems aren’t realizable within a human lifetime (unless you’re a baby right now). In theory, that’s why governments are for but even they’re constrained by the need to have realizable goals within a span of an election cycle. I think the only time we’ve seen anything that’s been a success on that front would be the Montreal Protocol and that took years to achieve.

3 Likes

Very few of the world’s devastating famines have occurred in countries where there were strong protections for freedom of speech.

So it’s not like too many people have ever had the opportunity to choose one of (food or free speech) by forgoing the other.

http://www.feedingamerica.org/hunger-in-america/impact-of-hunger/

5 Likes

Who needs famines when you have jobs that don’t pay enough to live on, centralised in places that are too expensive to live in.

Inequality is a path to dictatorship. It’s the path we are on now, but it is not too late to turn back.

3 Likes

To agree with and amplify @NickyG’s comment, @meanidea’s perspective seems to be prevalent in the USA, and in my view is one of the tenets of the myth of American exeptionalism. In other “Western” countries, free speech is constitutionally protected as well, but it does have limits, as it needs to be weighed against other constitutional rights.

1 Like

This cartoon is

1. Very true.
  2. 22 years old. That’s almost a generation.
1 Like

Kinda makes me wonder why it is in an amendment and not in the constitution proper.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.