No, poor kids don't struggle in school because their parents have small vocabularies

Yup. Studies have shown that just reminding a student that they are black or female before taking a test will make them do worse on the test.

10 Likes

As an alternative talk to a librarian at a library that subscribes to the cited journals. Most will be happy to help.

3 Likes

Or you could give us your college library login details…

5 Likes

We have SSO, which is short for Such a Shit Outside-chance of that happening. :smile:

2 Likes

3 Likes

That seems like a classic case of priming.

Another thing I think that poor students in general suffer from is lack of parental involvement. The child’s education is seen as the school and teacher’s responsibility and they are less likely to be involved in their education, (e.g. helping study in for spelling tests, math flash cards, helping with home work in general, etc)

There is evidence this sort of thing also is partly responsible for the difference in performance in black and white students, as there is still a marked difference between races even in upper class schools. I recall a study done by a Berkley professor that has insight into this and is an interesting read (though not an open/shut case, it’s a complex issue). If anyone wants me to dig it up I will.

3 Likes

Please do dig it up. I want to see if they address the fact that poor people have significantly less free time with which to do said homework, reading, flash cards, etc. Its super hard to make time for those things if you’re a single parent working low paying jobs, possibly more than one, just to get by. I want to see the demographics of the kids they studied…

9 Likes

Well the study I am talking about was for a wealthy school. But I could see how his findings would carry on to lower class.

But all your other points are important too. If you work 2 jobs, night shift, etc you don’t have the time. The poor tend to have more kids as well, which means you have less time to spend with anyone kid.

I think this was originally published in the Atlantic, but I believe this is the same article. It is the same professor. And again, one person’s findings don’t mean it applies across the board and further study is needed. But the dynamic he talks about and its effects make sense.

3 Likes

That article seems strongly to be arguing “black kids don’t do well in school because of their culture,” and it seemed like the evidence for that was terribly shoddy. When I read articles about the “lone researcher” who is facing criticism on all sides, I tend to wonder if all those critics don’t have a point.

As there is plenty of evidence that it’s outside factors expectations that greatly affect success, to attribute it all to “culture” is just straight-out weird.

Here’s another article, again by Steele in The Atlantic, describing how a calculus class just like the school described in your article — black kids falling to the bottom despite apparent similar advantages — completely reversed itself by being “made to see value and promise in black students.” By explicitly focusing on the value of individual students, instead of continuing with the teacher’s and school’s existing stereotypes, those students quickly out-performed their white counterparts.

7 Likes

Whether is is culture, personal attitude, or society’s expectations, I think we are looking at the same issue.

If the parents expect and tell their kids they can do well, and the teacher and their peers say the same thing, they are priming for success.

If the parents are uninvolved and say it doesn’t matter, and the students peers and teachers expect them to do poorly, that is priming for failure.

6 Likes

Yeah, the non-white and female kids I love are constantly being told that they are not “privileged” and therefore they will always be held back from being all they could be. It’s a sad and infuriating drumbeat of despair, mainly propagated by people who claim they want to help, but who generally will refuse to moderate their rhetoric no matter what you say to them.

As several here have pointed out, the more people that provide positive priming, the better the results are likely to be, but even just one caring teacher or parent can make a huge difference. Thankfully, with kids, it’s often harder to hold them back then to spur them forward…

6 Likes

I think that many of us in academia would very much like for our work to be more readily available to the public. However, many journals, which we have access to through our schools, are owned by large corporations that are attempting to make a shit ton off them by having people either pay for individual articles, pay for a subscription to the journals in one’s field, or from libraries buying their databases. It sucks and many of us would like to find alternatives to that, but it’s a slow going process.

9 Likes

There’s a big difference between being told that “the world isn’t fair, so it’s likely that you’re going to have to work harder than others to get as far as they do,” and being told, “you will always be held back from being all you can be.”

I think it’s better to be realistic about how society works, rather than (if I’m reading you right) telling black or Hispanic or Native American kids (or girls) that there’s just as much opportunity out there for them to be whatever they want to be as there is for white kids (or boys).

5 Likes

To be clear, I was complaining about the paywalls, but the real beef with the article (and the reason I characterized it as extremely poor journalism) is because the summaries of the referenced articles don’t seem to support the conclusions the author portrays as established Scientific Fact. It reads like an article where someone started with a conclusion they wanted to arrive at, then went digging for articles that could be strung together to appear to support that conclusion.

And by the way I agree with 95% of what everyone else here is saying in the comments - I’m not arguing that everything’s lovely in american public education. But, I think articles like this detract from having an honest conversation (like the conversation occurring in the comments that I’m agreeing with).

A similar thing often occurs in conversations about global warming. People (on both sides) feel like they need to protect the conclusion they have decided they ‘side’ with and refuse to abide any nuance, counterargument, or fact that doesn’t agree with it. The result is fiercely-argued polemics that alienate anyone not already predisposed to agree.

3 Likes

I understood that, but was just letting you know why things are paywalled. I haven’t had a chance to read the article yet so wasn’t commenting on what you said in that regard. It’s very likely that the author of the article might have had access to the full articles, which may very well support their arguments, but I don’t know.

2 Likes

My experience (outside the US) is that when people see schools as solely responsible for their child’s education its because they themselves don’t have as much education to pass on (not always, but most of the time), if they don’t get involved is because they feel they cannot help. And yes, its an especially vicious cycle for poor people.

Its a sad reality that if school’s or teachers aren’t prepared/set up/well funded enough to elevate people above their parents education then it should come as no surprise when nothing changes.

2 Likes

I very strongly agree. The former is what I tell every single kid, because it’s true. The latter may well also be true, in any one specific case, but I don’t choose to be a part of spreading that message.

A forest is not made of identical trees, unless we go in with a chainsaw and make them that way. Priming is objectively real; words really do matter.

WHAM! You may as well drop the mic, dude. You’ve encapsulated modern political discourse!

Gotta go, peoples, good night.

5 Likes

I completely agree. There are way too many issues that shouldn’t be politicized that are and both sides fight the party line with little understanding of their position.

That, and they usually insist that to be “us” it means to take all the issues in a block, and disagreeing with a subset is enough to put you to the “them” camp with the “other side”. Which is equally liable to eject you out of their midst for similar disagreements. So what is left for you is the no-man’s-land crater-pocked with “arguments” lobbed from one side to the other, falling on ears long ago deafened by the overly polarized discourse. Better bring a blanket and a pair of earplugs; the nights there are cold and noisy.

3 Likes

I think what parents can provide is a level of importance, of expectation, to your kids education.
Instill into them that this actually matters and putting in effort is a valuable thing. Instilling the value of Giving a Shit.