Nondescript house for sale has huge oak tree growing right through it

Okay, I couldn’t leave this alone, so I started digging a little. I believe there is no tree sticking out of the roof as you might imagine. I think the tree in the kitchen goes up into the attic, but that’s it- nothing through the roof. That would have to mean the tree is dead and was cut off at some point (which begs the question why they didn’t just remove it when they did that remodel).

Looking at the first realty photo:

…there doesn’t appear to be any tree canopy above the house; only beside and in front.

Comparing then to google maps overhead:
https://goo.gl/maps/81oV8ZBBsFJkZyUd7

…seems to confirm this. There’s a clear tree in the backyard and one in the front yard. The front yard tree is very close to the house (visible in the first link above) but if you zoom and enhance you can see the trunk coming down in front of the exterior wall.

Another angle from Street View seems to confirm no tree canopy anywhere directly above the house:

This isn’t 100% conclusive of course, but I feel like one of those angles would have to show it if there was a giant tree sticking through the roof and a canopy over the house.

Regardless, still a terrible idea for all the reasons stated upthread, and also this house is 50’ from the water so it’s gonna be submerged in 20 years anyway.

5 Likes

What a stupid place to put it if you designed around the tree then why not put the thing against the wall, instead of 4 or 5 cabinets and the fridge door, designed, my arse, by a 5 year old!

Or if you wanted a feature put it in the middle of the room and build a table round it.

3 Likes

I used to live in an apartment in a converted church. I had a stone pillar (about 50cm across) which came through my bedroom ceiling, and terminated in a massive box (presumably the foundation), which took up at least 1/3rd of the room.

Where it came into the living room it was a lot cooler (and less in the way):

7 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.