Nordstrom Rack falsely accuses 3 young black men of stealing and calls the cops on them

Brentwood is an affluent and very white area of the St. Louis metro. The cops there are used to handling the rich white kids and their parents which helps a lot with the being nice by default. While racist it is more pearl clutching omg black people than lets go hassle them.

8 Likes

The one sliver lining in these incidents is cops getting in the news for being the good guys. If only they would get rid of the bad apples.

4 Likes

Shoplifting? Racists don’t care. They don’t even want them in the stores to begin with.

2 Likes

Why do I suspect the customer that spoke to them is the reason the store staff thought they were stealing?

3 Likes

Blame to go around. They claim they were responding to a verbal altercation. So racist piece of shit customer harasses three young black men and the store employee calls the cops on the men being harassed?

Still, I want to know who the bigot customer is. May his or her name be plastered all over social media until their life is as miserable as they’re intent on making the lives of people of color.

6 Likes

That’s the patriarchy for ya

And another…

Y’all get that some variation on this story happens a thousand times a day, yes?

12 Likes

fuck. :frowning:

I can’t even. As the kids say.

5 Likes

Dude, I “got it” years before the internet ever even existed; this is the reality Black folks and other PoC in America having been dealing with, since time out of mind.

7 Likes

Hiring and promoting more POC is a worthy end in itself. As for combating this kind of racist attack, I would hope that more POC in power would lead to a better result. However, I fear the result may be only marginally better (see black cops). Only a revolutionary change in the way POC are seen in this culture is going to change the way they are treated on the ground. There is a lot of work to do.

5 Likes

I worked a summer at a now defunct clothing department store called “Mervyn’s” in the shipping and receiving department. We literally did all the heavy lifting, so we were mostly large men. Every couple of days Asset Protection (AP, the in-store shoplifting detectives) would give us a signal and we’d hurry out to block the two main doorways in case any of our “customers” seemed too much in a hurry to leave with AP on their tails and the police summoned.

This was a racially integrated town in Southern California, probably 30% black, 30% hispanic, and the rest white + other. And every single shoplifter – probably at least a dozen during my tenure – was white.

3 Likes

Be glad that you didn’t work in a tannery.

6 Likes

4 Likes

4 Likes

A very small snippet of hope for you: a racist asshole was kicked out of an agency last year after instagraming a picture of three black teens on the street with a caption saying that even thieves stopped pickpocketing to enjoy the parade. The asshole asked them for a picture, they assumed that it was as spectators on the parade. What they really were was students just out of school enjoying the parade. One of the kids cried because he felt so humiliated by the sheer prejudice.

Well, it happens that the owner of said agency is black. Racist was booted and the owner did a post on how hard it was for him to build his business, how he suffered racism every step of the way there and that he was angry that his hiring system didn’t prevent someone like the racist from falling through the cracks.

7 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.