Not just emissions: manufacturers' dirty tricks fake everything about cars

“What the hell? That can’t be true, that’s crazy.”

Five minutes of googling later…

“What the fuck? AAA is crazytown!”

http://www.monitor.net/monitor/0105a/copyright/aaa.html

Thanks Medievalist. I’ll be changing to the http://www.betterworldclub.com/ or some equivalent.

7 Likes

That’s why I’m combining the test with an onboard GPS and measuring via google maps at home.

If you’re going to verify, don’t use the ruler you don’t trust.

2 Likes

I make liberal use of the “power” button. I also have the 1000W stereo. I no longer listen to other people’s music at red lights, if you catch my drift. :wink:

Best mileage is had with mine at a constant 75-80 for many, many miles. I made it to Minneapolis from Michigan City, Indiana on a single tank of gas. Hit the inevitable Chicago traffic on that trip and could only go 73-75 in Wisconsin (Thanksgiving-ish, troopers everywhere), and still got 52.1 mpg. Don’t know if you’ve ever driven 94 through Wisconsin, but it ain’t exactly flat. Not mountains, either, though.

Worst mileage is had in the winter. Period. No matter what I do, even freezing with the heat off, I will do no better than 38.

2 Likes

So the FBI isn’t demanding a backdoor into this particular area of software, I suppose…man, we puny mortals need to get some of that corporation-style power…

1 Like

Unless it means they already got one via a friendly deal with the corporation.

3 Likes

I’ll be damned if I can remember who or when, but my dad told me about one of the automakers that advertised how its new models had far superior brakes, the effectiveness of which you could feel during a test drive. And it turned out that the brakes were just as crappy as the previous year’s model, but they’d made the front springs and shocks considerably softer, so the car’s nose would dive more precipitously during hard braking, making it feel like the brakes were stopping harder.

Chrysler in the late 40s, maybe? Can’t remember.

7 Likes

I thought this was common knowledge. Petrol heads told me ~10 years ago that cars were recognizing the test cycle. I guess that the US is pushing this now against VW must be kind of a trade war thing, maybe a revenge move for European governments not fully playing along with TTIP, or for Google being sued over privacy issues? I’m not saying it’s OK what they were doing, far from it. But I wonder why this is going to court right now, and not years ago.

3 Likes

One conspiracy theory over here in Germany is that the US punishes VW because of a new factory in Russia.

1 Like

Then again, who needs a reason for a trade war…

2 Likes

They have seriously overplayed their hand, I think. Europe went for turbodiesel in a big way because that lowers CO2 emissions, though at the expense of accepting higher local NOx emissions. Now that they know the car companies cheated, what will they do? It’s already so bad in Paris that the city literally smells of the high reliance on diesel. And the mayor already has been pushing to act in all sorts of ways.

If you think European cities are big on going car free now, imagine what they’ll do to keep emissions at bay when they can’t trust the carmakers on this.

2 Likes

I know that my 2000 Toyota Camry still gets 26-27 mpg on my commute (20 freeway miles plus a mile or two of surface streets) and the manual says it should get 27 mpg highway. I do the math every time I fill up. If there’s a long freeway trip (like the 160 mile trip to my father in law’s house) I get closer to 30 mpg. So this is a case where the car is keeping up with its rating.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.