Not robots: youth unemployment caused by late retirement, driven by pension precarity

I was entirely opposed to the banking and auto bailouts. Unlike Clinton and Obama who voted for them.

Few people get pensions now, they get 401ks, which often have no gurantees of pay outs. So yes, many boomers have to continue working because their 401ks (if they havenā€™t tanked into oblivion, which has happened - Enron, being one prominent example) and social security arenā€™t paying their way and some of that is related to longer life spans. However, there are studies suggesting that the people living the longest can afford to do so anyway. The people working the longest are working class and had no secure retirement in the first place, Iā€™d wager.

And while the next generation (Gen X) wasnā€™t very large, the current generation entering the work force, the millennials, are very large (bigger than the boomers, I believe). There are less jobs with security now, and more of my generation and the millennial generation are working ā€œgigā€ type jobs (in my field itā€™s adjuncting, which has per course pay and no benefits) which has become so trendy in the economy right now. Iā€™d think that many Gen xers are doing okay and secure, but many millennials have no real job or pension security to speak of and this was a choice made by employers, in order to boost short term profits and cut costs on labor.

Itā€™s a big mess, in others words, that canā€™t just be explained away by changes to life spans, even if thatā€™s one factor involved. People are making choices about employment and pensions, and those choices have consequences for the rest of us, which given the very low level of union membership, most of us have no way to rectify or have a say in anymore.

5 Likes

And from what Iā€™ve seen, I believe weā€™ve circled around back to that. A consequence of cutting communal ties other than family (and in some cases, those have been cut too).

5 Likes

Not all of them, actually. Many of them got screwed just as they crossed the finish line.

4 Likes

To be fair sometime cutting the family ties is a good thing. I havenā€™t cut ties with my immediate family as much as Seattle was where the jobs were vs St. Louis and now I really like it here. My extended family with a some exceptions have not only gone over to the fringe right but are all probably tRump supporters so I donā€™t miss them at all.

Stupid 401Ks though pension funds were pretty much the same thing only you invested as a group rather than individual. Not sure which route is better provided conservative investment vs, speculative high risk investment done in the fund.

2 Likes

Oh, I totally agree there - sometimes itā€™s necessary to cut ties with oneā€™s birth family and I donā€™t begrudge anyone who does so. Once you cut times (even if for an excellent reason, like abuse, etc), you are without a support network, because thatā€™s the only one that really exists in our society any more. Those who canā€™t find alternatives are often screwed, unless independently wealthy.

I think we only need look at enron to see what happens to 401ks, which are based on riskier investments and are (as you point out) more individualized. There needs to be guarantees for people who put a portion of their paychecks into whatever system exists or else when the market nose dives (which itā€™s pretty much going to do now, since weā€™re kind of in unfettered capitalism territory). Iā€™d say itā€™s better to be conservative with the money that people are expecting to live on into their old age.

2 Likes

To be fair the ones that got screwed were dumping like 40% into the company stock fund, which is nice when things are going UP UP UP but as they say timing is everything. Boeing wouldnā€™t let us put more than 10% in pure Boeing stock and had a good choice managed or index of specific company sectors stated higher risk and simple index funds to put money elsewhere. CSC was pretty much the same as well.

Reversion to the mean is something to aspire to?

I donā€™t discuss aspirations, only reality.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.