Novel plagiarist gender-swapped heroine to create gay romance

[Read the post]

2 Likes

Oglaf: Son of Kronar [NSFW]

8 Likes

ā€œThe only scene she didnā€™t include was the epilogue, which couldnā€™t be altered to an M/M scene. It involved the heroine in labour and the hero having sympathetic labour pains.ā€

Where was the spoiler alert?!? Now Iā€™m definitely not reading her romance novelā€¦

7 Likes

I thought pirates were a good thing here now?

I support this cultural remix. Just not with any money.

3 Likes

the plagiarist has admitted mistakes were made.

I love it when lines like this pop up. Nobody knows who made those mistakes or how they were made but, dagnabbit, there they are.

10 Likes

Hey, some people like their romance both ways, and thereā€™s nothinā€™ wrong with that.

3 Likes

With her writing career I assume heading south, she has a bright future as a police spokesperson.

6 Likes

Maybe she can pull the parody defence.

1 Like

There goes my automated novel-writing monetization strategy.

4 Likes

I get it that is a common reaction some people have - ā€œIf piracy is ok then why is this bad?ā€

The common form of Internet Piracy is the sharing and redistribution of copyrighted content. full stop. When profit is involved - or signing your own name to the copyrighted material - that is a different story. As you may know, copyright is a tricky dance - as are the lines between piracy, satire, parody, and fair use.

This is neither parody nor satire but is instead plagiarism. Plagiarism is defined as ā€œthe practice of taking someone elseā€™s work or ideas and passing them off as oneā€™s own.ā€ And we could add to the end of that, at least in this case, ā€œfor profit.ā€

So this is bad because it is taking someone elseā€™s work and passing it off as oneā€™s own for profit without any credit or compensation to the original creator.

Incidentally, my wife teaches philosophy. There is an online system - I donā€™t remember the name - that compares papers that her students write to to a huge database of papers, books, etc, and will identify plagiarized content. Some people copy whole huge paragraphs from elsewhere. They get an F, are kicked out of the class, and sometimes are suspended or kicked out of school. There is a lot to be said for ā€˜coming up with your own ideasā€™ if you are using them to propel yourself forward in life.

10 Likes

Not plagiarism, but I remember an (apocryphal?) story about someone who wrote a novel and then late on changed his characterā€™s name by doing a find-replace on the name.

Got spotted because at one point someone went to see Michaelangeloā€™s Kevin.

6 Likes

But is it any good?

2 Likes

I donā€™t get people who plagiarize novels. They have to go through the book and change enough details that theyā€™re essentially editing it, and I find editing always takes as long as the writing itself. Meanwhile they deprive themselves of the fun part, using their imagination. I love writing. Iā€™d do more of it if I didnā€™t have to edit it all afterwards. But pro authors have editors to do the drudgery for them. Yet these unimaginative losers forgo the act of creation to commit what has to be the most laborious way of ripping others off. If youā€™re going to be a thief, move to Wall Street. Itā€™s faster paced and they have copious amounts of cocaine.

2 Likes

In my experience, all piracy is about profit. Even if the only profit is saving $10 by not subscribing to HBO. Itā€™s kind of there in the name, if thereā€™s no value thereā€™s no piracy. ā€œTo have this file legally would cost me money/time/effort, I donā€™t want to pay/disagree with their policies, so I take itā€. And on the other side you have diverted distribution so they make money from page views or unlocking faster downloads. Or even just increasing reputation in the community.

Every pirate transaction involves taking someone elseā€™s work and passing it off as oneā€™s own for profit. Even if theyā€™re not claiming they made Game of Thrones or Photoshop they are claiming distribution rights by the act of distributing.

Contrary to ā€œa penny saved is a penny earned,ā€ saving money is not the same as profit. A person who canā€™t or wouldnā€™t have purchased digital media but who then violates copyright by torrenting it canā€™t say they profited by the amount of money they couldnā€™t or wouldnā€™t have spent.

Copyright violation and plagiarism are two different things, though they may sometimes overlap. Violating copyright by copying something you donā€™t have permission to copy is not the same as ā€œpassing it off as oneā€™s own for profit.ā€ Youā€™re conflating a number of discrete (and legally distinct) concepts and saying ā€œclose enough.ā€

3 Likes

Itā€™s called an ā€œopinionā€.

Torrent Beckyā€™s book and itā€™s ā€œwoo hoo, fight the good fight, Iā€™m helping Becky succeedā€. Replace Beckyā€™s name and itā€™s ā€œboo, evil, bad form old chapā€.

But in my opinion, they both steal from Becky. At least Harner admits she was unethical.

Oh, god. The first time I read that comic, I didnā€™t realize that Kronarā€™s ā€œwifeā€ had a willy.

2 Likes

Is somebody conflating plagiarism and piracy a thing that happens whenever BB does an article about a plagiarist? Have we had this argument several times already?

1 Like

And, you know, a viking beard moustacheā€¦

2 Likes