Now a Roku 3 has replaced my AppleTv

Our setup is a Roku 2 with Netflix and Amazon as the main channels we use. My daughter is a fan of the free channel Crunchyroll, which shows anime.

Netflix is very easy to use and quick to respond - we just upgraded the router for the interwebs and that has also helped the speed.

Amazon’s interface is clunkier. However, for Breaking Bad, Sons of Anarchy, and Californication and other shows that are out in current release, we can stream the latest show one day after it airs on cable. We really like what it adds. I occasionally watch the Prime content but the interface is just so fussy that I’d rather watch Netflix unless I’m desperate.

You can also purchase Amazon content in HD and for a few movies, that has been very nice. Brave, for example, was stunning.

I think this is cheaper than cable, but mainly the appeal is that we never, ever see a commercial.

2 Likes

It works, but temperamentally. Router goes down for a blackout or any other reason? Local streaming works. Power cycle from a frozen Boxee? Local streaming fails. Try to use the cobbled together Airplay? Frozen Boxee. It’s possibly the buggiest product I have ever personally owned.

I’ll suffer a middleman running on my PC to avoid all that.

For my house it’s:

2 ROKUS (for netflix, amazon prime, and playon (which gets us lots web content–mainly daily show/colbert and regular hulu)

2 lifetime TIVO subscriptions to cover our over-the-air network/PBS/local channel tv stuff (which is still what we tend to watch most) with what’s still the best interface IMO. The nice “season pass” settings of the tivos mean, at any given time, we have tons of shows waiting for us and even with the ROKUs the TIVO is by far the most used for general television.

No cable–the above gives us more tv than we need, very little to set up and easy for the non-technicals to use (via Logitech Harmony remotes).

We had media box pcs, but dealing with remote control issues and less than tivo quality UIs for over the air stuff, even with the nice XBMC gui, was always never quite as seamless as the above setup. I did like having software that could rip out commercials on the fly, but even that tended to need tinkering and show spotty results as broadcasters play games to obfuscate commercial start/end points. Skipping them with the tivo fast-fast-forward is not a problem for us.

TIVO’s are expensive (especially if you subscribe rather than go lifetime) but, damn, once you introduce them to the household, nothing compares for general ease of use. There would be a revolt if I ever took them out at this point. They do have netflix functionality (no amazon prime), but streaming on a TIVO is not nearly as nice as a ROKU (at least for my current 1-back TIVO generation–the new ROMIO tivo line may be different). Interface is uglier, and tends to not like forward/backward skipping which for a ROKU is never a problem. I don’t use a media server since it’s so easy to simply transfer movies to the TIVO and watch them from it.

Dropping cable was a no brainer–did it years ago and can’t think of anything I miss.

1 Like

The PS3 has goofy, unintuitive controls optimized for expensive gaming, and no real browser (it does have a ludicrously useless one). Only our teenage son really likes it, so I’d say it’s only a good choice within its target demographics. Very good quality blue-ray and DVD playback, strong CEC and good sound. Nice hardware and very stable software in a stupidly curvaceous, unstackable chassis.

The Roku 2 XS 1080p was admirably small and had an interesting wii-like controller, but was primarily oriented towards pay services and annoyingly non-trivial to set up without entering payment information. The software wasn’t fantastically stable but didn’t crash constantly either. No keyboard, no optical drives, very much a one-trick pony, but given the small size and reasonable cost that seems very reasonable. Nonetheless we gave it away to relatives who wanted to use it for Netflix. When we had it, it was primarily used for playing Angry Birds on the big screen, because its other functions were all duplicated by other devices.

The logitech Revue ($99 Google TV) would have been a fantastic box, with a great controller, but Logitech totally bungled the product (even worse than they are currently bungling their formerly excellent Squeezebox line of devices) by treating their customers with a blend of paternalistic contempt and open distrust. The company actively worked to prevent end-users from vastly improving the device for them (I would have given them a power-off feature, others were developing work-arounds for network content blocking). I don’t want to talk about it any more, the idiocy and self-destructiveness of Logitech’s behavior still leaves a bad taste in my mouth. They could have revolutionized TV if they could just have treated their users with a little human respect.

The home-built mythTV box required constant attention to resolve issues involved in running a rapidly developing program on a rapidly developing OS. I tried it with separate head and back ends, with Fedora, with Ubuntu, with Mediabuntu, even with CentOS and couldn’t achieve my goal of a box that would “just work” efficiently and securely for a decade without expert management (I routinely achieve that goal with servers and PCs running various OSes). That being said, MythTV is a superb system and an admirable achievement, and if you enjoy regularly tinkering with your hardware and software you will love it. I wish I had time for it. DVD works with fluendo or DeCSS, no blu-ray though (at least when I was still playing with it).

Every standalone media center blu-ray player I could find had Java under the hood, which is a detriment given my goal of secure, low-maintenance use over very long periods of time. Netflix and similar streaming usually strong out of the box. Many of them do not have wired ethernet connections, which is stupid since you don’t carry them around, so why waste precious wireless bandwidth? Their controls are based on TV remote controls and are thus horrible for typing, so web interactivity is painful. But they are fairly cheap, so if you aren’t concerned about waste stream issues and technology recycling, you could certainly do worse than just buying a new one every time the old one’s software support rots away.

Windows media center on Windows is quite good; I’ve noticed you’ll see fewer commercials on the Daily Show and other mass media products than you do with an android-based system, which makes me think Microsoft is paying a tithe. Blu-ray and DVD are no big deal because Microsoft is definitely paying a tithe. A windows system is expensive compared to less capable options and the Microsoft interfaces prior to Windows8 do not adapt well to the big screen. Microsoft products have reasonably long and very well defined life cycles, but tend to need many lengthy update-and-reboot cycles that don’t fit well with media center use when they are new, which is annoying (until they reach maturity and the updates recede to a more ignorable level). Again, based on purely functional arguments (ignoring arguable aesthetics, cost of a good controller and sociopolitical context) you could certainly do worse than just buying a windows box and sticking it under your TV.

That’s all I’ve got on media streaming; I won’t speculate on stuff I haven’t owned (like Apple TV or Boxee) or haven’t extensively used yet (Chromecast, although I can say it’s another wireless hog).

I get that. If you want Amazon’s expediated shipping, the added in streaming is a good deal. Amazon, however, uses the streaming to keep people on its site to hopefully buy more. As a person who has cut my cable though, Amazon’s streaming is not nearly as good an option as Netflix.

I think it depends on what you want. I tried Netflix for about a week and it had very little I wanted to watch. Amazon Prime has a ton of stuff I like to watch. I actually joined Prime for the streaming, the free 2 day shipping is a bonus. I have bought a lot from Amazon even before getting Prime but I honestly don’t care how long it takes to get stuff, so I always got free shipping anyway.

I live in a house that has an X-Box 360, an Apple TV, and a Roku player. I was given the X-Box as a gift, and if I had to pick one device that would be what I would use for my media needs. I dislike that Microsoft charges you a yearly fee to use the device for Netflix, but overall it is the best device considering its game playing abilities. It, however, is expensive compared to the other options.

If I was not given the X-Box, and I did not already have an Apple TV that is what I would go with. Unlike with Microsoft there is no yearly fee to use many of the streaming features. The Apple TV also works incredibly well with all my other Apple toys. I can use Air Play on my Mac, iPhone, or iPad to stream movies, music, pictures, and various app content (e.g. Hulu) to the Apple TV. If I, however, was not happy with Apple’s products (which is not the case), the Apple TV would lose some appeal.

I tried to live with the Roku player when I first moved in with my girlfriend. The interface is not nearly as clean as Apple’s and many of the channels are junk or paid channels. Further, there would be a lag when trying to operate the device.

In fact, our current Netflix client is an LG Smart TV Upgrader. However, it seems unlikely to ever get an update, and it does not support subtitles or alternative audio. This became an issue with some anime on Netflix where English is not the default language for either audio or subtitles, and without a newer client you cannot change that. The kids objected to learning Japanese…

I’m using a pair of HDHomeruns, and I am extremely impressed. Moreover, each tuned in stream can go anywhere on your network. My PVR runs XP and NextPVR. (It’s running as an embedded appliance, so I’m not too worried about April 8th.) It’s only a Pentium 4 box, but it has gigabit ethernet, and has 3 TB of external video storage. (It also does radio recording with Radiator and acts as podcast catcher with Juice. It’s a fairly busy box.) For those who keep track of such things, it clocks in at about 150 watts most of the time.

That LG Upgrader will play recorded ATSC (.TS files) directly from the network shares, but you don’t get episode titles or descriptions when selecting what to play. Moreover, it is “over the edge” on performance. Pressing the “menu” button during a .TS file playback requires patience – the local menu needs between 10 and 15 seconds to appear. By comparison, the RPi (with MPEG codec enabled) is still responsive. There are other glitches though – XBMC rides on top of ffmpeg, which cannot (yet?) extract user data from the transport stream, and so XBMC cannot show closed captions; the LG box can display them. However, XBMC has a strong dev community, and since the Live TV features are relatively new, I think it likely that this will get resolved.

This same issue is now haunting the WD TV Live as well. After some spelunking through various forums last night, it appears that the WD TV Live also will not play closed captions.

So, finally, I’m considering just tracking down a refurbished ultra-slim desktop running Windows 7. This would be about double the cost of any of the other boxes, but it would completely dominate in terms of both performance and upgradeability. It still needs a good remote control solution for a 10-foot interface beyond the clunky wireless keyboard, but in all other regards it would be great. It would even provide a solution to some cable only programs - with a full browser and flash, you can at least decide to go to a cable-only channel’s website and watch streaming stuff there. I have yet to find a dedicated media box browser that will actually run most tv channel websites. It can still run XBMC as the PVR front end, with the added bonus that it could actually buffer enough to allow useful playback control beyond play and pause.

It’s only anecdotal from a friend, but he said that his Roku 3 won’t work at all in Canada without using a proxy like unblock.us

A lot of people have an issue with speed on these setups.

When was the last time you got a new router?

I realized recently that it has been 5 years since I had internet access installed. That’s a long time for any piece of computer equipment to be in service.

I called the cable company and since I do the streaming, I did upgrade the router not just to the latest free one, but to the super ultra fast one ($100 or so).

Prior to this I was having some issues with my Netflix running slowly; since then, all is aces.

I have a bunch of streaming devices… AppleTV, Xbox 360, PS3… additionally my TV and AVR are DLNA and the AVR can do AirPlay audio.

For video the PS3 is my go-to box. It handles DLNA much better than the TV or the 360. I still have to remux MKV, but that is a quick job in Subler and I’d rather my stored copy be MP4 anyway. With a Bluetooth remote, navigating the interface is a moot point.

Netflix is a toss-up. The Apple TV is always on and is a solid streamer. The interface on the PS3 is a bit richer, not the least of which because I can control it from the Netflix app.

Other than Netflix, the only other streaming service of use to me is HBO GO… Apple TV.

Don’t get me started on Microsoft’s plan to charge you twice for the streaming services you already pay for. I’m not a gamer, I’m not paying for Xbox Live. The 360 also sucks at DLNA streaming. However the 360 does have one redeeming quality and that is the Media Center Extender. I have a 4-tuner CableCARD rig in the office and it works beautifully to bring what is probably the only thing Windows is really good for to the TV. It auto-skips commercials and I can stream everything I’ve recorded on my phone or iPad.

Sadly, it looks like the days of WMC are numbered. The XBone doesn’t have extender support, and Microsoft blocked all non-Xbox extenders (including Ceton’s Echo) from working in Windows 8. WMC is a paid extra for Windows 8 (unless you were an early adopter) and I don’t expect we’ll see it in Windows 9. Hopefully by the time Windows 8 is no longer supported, FiOS will have a decent DVR solution that can use one my set-top boxes… or maybe TiVO will be worth it.

They’ll make it work for them. Just not for you.

1 Like

The first Apple TV, with its wifi card removed and replaced with a Broadcom Crystal HD card, running a Linux-based OS with XBMC (Crystalbuntu), works great for playing 1080p content and passing through 5.1 or DTS audio to a receiver.

Yes, I generally prefer my Roku to AppleTV. However AppleTV has Youtube, and Roku doesn’t. That can be pretty significant for some types of content. So I frequently switch between the two, depending on what I’d prefer.

Oh, another thing. I can download movies (and TV shows) from the Amazon app on both Roku and AppleTV OK. But Apple only allows me to download HD versions, while the Roku gives me the choice of HD or nonHD. That’s a difference of 1$ per download. So Roku wins hands down, on that issue alone.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.