NSA secretly broke smartphone security

[Permalink]

1 Like

“Champaigne!”

I got a word for you that describes my feelings too. “Bastards.”

2 Likes

So, is this basically all from the Snowden files? Is all this coming out because its about to come out anyhow?

1 Like

And cue up the commenter who says, Big deal, if you’re not doing anything wrong, what do you need to worry about? I am sick of responding to that.

7 Likes

Personally, I recommend casually riffling through their wallets or drawers.

13 Likes

Can they invade my iphone privacy over the air as well? This would be interesting to know (I am not talking about them sending national security letters to Apple, asking for my information).

The more recent iOS version can be set up and operated without ever syncing to a PC.

Privacy is an inherent human right, and a requirement for maintaining the human condition with dignity and respect.

https://www.schneier.com/blog/archives/2006/05/the_value_of_pr.html

I am sure there are other good canonical links to debunk the silly “if you aren’t doing anything wrong why do you need privacy” argument.

3 Likes

Well, this might be the angle RIM needs to get back into the smartphone market. They aren’t American so don’t have to answer to all the silly secret laws. They could produce a phone with legitimately unbreakable encryption - make the production and distribution process transparent so everybody knows it is legit - and market it as spyproof.

And the NSA will continue to do their best to undermine the American economy.

3 Likes

Blackberry Limited is a Canadian company.

Canada ist one of the Five Eyes, i.e. the world-wide surveillance net spun by the USA, New Zealand, the UK and Canada. A junior partner, of course, but a partner.

And as long as these four have reason to assume that they are first class partners (unlike, for example, dear cooperating Germany which still gets spied or sold out by her own agencies for illegal scraps of data), they will cooperate.

Defund, Deauthorize, Disband.

Congress is back in session soon. Amash and Holt have bills that need to get passed yesterday. Do your duty. Call you rep.

Here is information on the Holt bill, Surveillance State Repeal Act. Amash said he will reintroduce the NSA defunding bill.
http://holt.house.gov/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1200&Itemid=18

3 Likes

Yes it is Canadian, but we don’t have (many) secret courts and executive orders hiding everything.

Not that BLackberry won’t knuckle under, but it does represent an opportunity for them to reinvent themselves as the only ‘secure’ cell phone. Of course, they will probably just try to mimic the itunes store or something as they circle the toilet bowl instead.

How about ogling that risquĂ© “private” photograph of their lover, while you’re at it?

Very disappointing reporting from Der Spiegel. If you actually critically read the linked article, you will find that it contains very little in the way of useful information. The only real take away is that the NSA has been trying to pown everyone’s cell phones (No shit! Knock me over with a feather!), and has had some limited success in the case of iOS devices when they can bag the user’s workstation used for syncing with the device, and that perhaps maybe they have also had some success using a similar attack vector against other modern smartphones as well.

It is also implied that they have some sort of free access to the Blackberry mail system, which would be very serious, but the article is pretty short on details. If I were a marketing person at BB, I’d be going into full damage control mode right now. Secure email is about the only thing that platform even has going for it anymore.

we don’t have (many) secret courts

That’s a sad statement in itself on the state of the world today.

2 Likes

I guess they can hear you now.

bazinga

experts boast about successful access to iPhone data in instances where the NSA is able to infiltrate the computer a person uses to sync their iPhone.

That’s called digging through a device backup. You can get the device passcode and anything else you want. Nothing difficult about that, unless the backup is encrypted.

The Blackberry SMS thing is also silly: SMS isn’t encrypted over the air, it’s in the control channel.

I was not aware that the DMCA had exceptions for the NSA. Isn’t circumventing access controls illegal?

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.