Nutritionists' professional events catered by McD's, sponsored by High Fructose Corn Syrup

Are these the same nutritionists that recommended whipped transfat butter substituent in the 70’s.

Yes, unfortunately, the California Dietetic Association is a local chapter of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics, which is the professional organization for Registered Dietitians (who are medical professionals – we calculate your IV feeds and tube feedings in the hospitals and order diets, and physicians refer to us when their patients need nutritional counseling).

Please don’t let the Academy’s sponsorship shenanigans taint your view of RDs. There are many many RD/RDNs who are disgusted with the Academy’s embracing of food companies as sponsors and we are trying to put a stop to it. We have a website:

where we organize, and, for instance, list continuing education credits that are not produced by food companies. If you think food company sponsorship of a nutrition organization is a disgraceful conflict of interest as we do, please help us out by writing a letter to the AND letting them know how you feel. Here’s how to find contact information for the leadership:

http://www.eatright.org/media/content.aspx?id=6442467512#.U3pikvecZ2A

Holly Hudson, MS, RDN, CDN

6 Likes

Oh dear. Yet again I feel compelled to post this. :smiley:

2 Likes

Yes. The same.

I’m glad to see Mother Jones’ and boingboing’s coverage of the sponsorship controversies in the dietetics profession.

As an aside, I would be surprised if either Andy Bellatti or Marion Nestle would endorse Mother Jones’ claim that high-fructose corn syrup “prompts more weight gain than other sugars.” Such offhand claims undermine the article’s credibility and distract from its main point. Most scientists would say HFCS and other sugars both are associated with risk of weight gain.

What do you mean by “corporatism”

It’s a situation where megalomaniacal sociopaths pull the strings for their own gains in money/power by manufacturing consent through media manipulation, intimidation, oligopolistic/monopolistic powers, profitably pushing their own externalities upon the rest of society, etc.

See “ADVANTAGES OF THE CORPORATIST RIGHT” for more context within post linked below:

Basically the enemy of most of humanity except these guys and their lackeys.

1 Like

How the hell do we fight them, when they’re everywhere?

Yes, but we are everywhere as well and there’s more of us than them. We’d also be more powerful if we’d just stop letting fear and trite bickering divide us from common goals.

If you want to look at their weaknesses, just look at what they spend so much media time trying to disparage. The word they despise and fear the most (and spend so much effort to instill that same fear into the rest of us) is:

SOLIDARITY

The fight is on.

https://mayone.us/

More:

1 Like

You misspelt people.

I know that everybody sounds significantly dumber in a foreign language and now I realize that my feeble attempt at politeness has only exacerbated that. I know of the issues you mentioned and we probably even agree on quite a lot of them. However if that’s what he meant, then it seems to me that he is misusing the term. Therefore I was trying to strike a balance between saying “You keep using that word, I do not think it means what you think it means.” in a way that is somewhat socially acceptable for a non-native speaker and making sure that I wasn’t being more pedantic than common usage in English justifies.

pedantic

Welp, you pretty much lose my interest there in any language. :smiley:

Indeed. I would point out in my defense, however, that the general public (i.e. laypeople) have little choice but to accept the message delivered by the medical establishment (which may or may not include nutritionists, as outlined earlier in this thread). The medical establishment has almost uniformly delivered a message regarding nutrition (and obesity in particular) that is completely at odds with what science – medical science, even – actually tells us.

For that, a pox on both their houses – the medical community and the corporatisti.

1 Like

700 mg of sodium in a salad? WTF?

1 Like

If they are everywhere, then every strike will land.

Not sure what that means in practice, but it sure sounds sensei-esque

2 Likes

Isn’t this just one example of what is happening everywhere to everything? :frowning: Profit over people.

1 Like

ummm, give or take 45 years…as with the rest of science, medical science in particular, [they’ve] come a long way baby

That’s standard:)
We make all our food from scratch.
But here in the cold North, almost all the stores, and all the food is sold by four companies, who own everything.

salad (n.) late 14c., from Old French salade (14c.), from Vulgar Latin *salata, literally “salted,” short for herba salata “salted vegetables”

Now covers a multitude of sins.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.