NYC's 'Food Warriors' head to Rockaway on the A-Train for cheap eats, in series finale

[Read the post]

1 Like

Very enjoyable - of course if it has to do with noodles, then Iā€™m in. Especially ramen or phį»Ÿ.
Canā€™t wait to catch up on this series, thank you.

1 Like

Thatā€™s my old neighbourhood! Or near enough. Far Rockaway was the nearest subway stop. Some of my ancestors had lived in that general area for over three hundred years.

Iā€™ll likely not be back very much. The house I grew up in, along with the establishments of ā€˜most everyone else, were wiped out in Hurricane Sandy, and prior to that, by demolition for housing projects that never got built, freeways that never got built, ā€œurban renewalā€ that simply left huge tracts of demolished housing with no redevelopmentā€¦ Itā€™'s New Yorkā€™s counterpart to the Ninth Ward in New Orleans, but without the press coverage.

Fifty years ago, even as a little kid, Iā€™d have been able to answer their question on the platform with, ā€œsure, what you want? Diner? Italian? Chinese? Irish pub? Steakhouse? Seafood?ā€ and been able to direct them. Now those businesses, the two movie theatres, the two nice department stores, the Italian greengrocer, the fruit stand, the deli, the butcher, a whole row of shops, are all boarded up, and half are burnt.

The Rockaways will always be my place, but my place isnā€™t there any more.

Thanks for bringing back some fond memories.

Yay!

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.