NYC's sloppy records gave $59.2M in tax breaks to dead people

[Read the post]

Guess he was wrong…

4 Likes

I find it comforting to know that, if I must die, at least I can get a tax break for it.

But wait – Are there different forms to take that to whichever afterlife you’re headed?
Where do I get a NY-Valhalla tax credit transfer form?
Do you fill out the NY-Sheol transfer form right to left, or left to right? This is so damn confusing…

3 Likes

Is this like the guy who was overpaid $40,000? If you take advantage of the tax credit, is that felony tax fraud? Because I’m willing to bet some New Yorkers knew full well what they were doing.

Dead, too.

3 Likes

We were assessed a too-low property tax one year (it was a carryover from the previous homeowner) I knew they’d come calling for it eventually and I didn’t want to take a cash hit years later. I tried – repeatedly – to get them to fix it and eventually gave up. About four years later, they hit me up for it, demanding interest and penalties. I had kept sufficiently good records I was able to waive those, but it was a big PITA. I understand why folks would give up, even if they knew the problem, as the government is just as bad correcting an error, regardless of the direction.

5 Likes

So he gets a tax break about that.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.