Obama asks Supreme Court to allow warrantless cellphone searches

Why does it feel like our government is engaged in a constant onslaught against us, the people?

2 Likes

My thought exactly.

Last week the Obama administration asked the Supreme Court to resolve
the issue and rule that the Fourth Amendment allows every goddam
thing the cops can think up.

1 Like

I can see no reason NOT to require a warrant. I mean they’ve arrested somebody so presumably they already have probably cause, so getting a warrant if there is a possibility that there is evidence on the phone related to the crime that they have arrested the person for should not be difficult. And once they’ve booked the phone as property, any evidence on it is presumably secure. So the ONLY reason that I can see to allow warrantless searches of the phone is to go on a “fishing expedition,” for the possibility of UNRELATED criminal evidence. Say, they arrested you for a bar fight, but think that you MIGHT be a drug dealer.

So this means if I get stopped by a cop, I should turn my iPhone completely off so if the cop tries to access my phone, they’ll need my passcode which I can “cop” the 5th to?

Can they search your wallet without a warrant?

I really don’t know, but if the answer is yes, I can see a strong parallel to the phone.

If the answer is no, then I don’t see how they can argue for this.

I know data is different than physical material, but I’m not convinced we need completely distinct concepts of search and seizure for it (at least when it’s resident on a tangible fixed device).

Innocents? Like the innocents that spend their days watching dancing with the stars?

Soldiers with their fingers on the launch button, parents drowning a new born because of its gender, printed paper valued over lives, is it really so hard to believe one soul would unplug the planet? A merciful end is about the best outcome I can envision for our race- it is a much more “humane” (lol) solution to whatever really will get us in the end.

Your word, not mine.

Single moms raising Nobel winners, soldiers protecting families in war-torn countries, you should be willing to let things play out a little more.

The difference is that when they take you into custody, they need to inventory your physical belongings. Once the phone is inventoried there is no further need to account for it.

What you choose to ponder is where your mind will be. It’s not the worlds fault that destruction is the most creative end you can think of.

It’s not my reality, it is our reality based on thousands of years history. Anything more than that is simply hopes and dreams.

How many millions of innocents are going to suffer while we wait for the big awakening (or whatever)? If did have a button, I would have to live with myself knowing that every day x number of innocents had to suffer. (in my mind, it’s like people living blissfully in an 84 million dollar mansion and also having to justify why others are hungry and in poverty).

Well, its very noble of you to be willing to genocide.

So does that make you a pro sufferrer? lol

I suppose I could appear that way to the insufferable

Ha! I’m more bipolar, I love and loathe equally.
Thanks for the chat!

Now… come oooon giant asteroid!!!

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.