Obesity map of Europe

[Read the post]

Huh, California is one of the least obese states? I can’t imagine what it’s like in Mississippi. I’ve wondered for a while why Britain has such a high rate of obesity. Have diet and exercise routines changed that much there in recent decades? Surely the diet’s always been terrible? Is this the result of all the other influences on metabolism, and why isn’t the rest of Europe equally afflicted?

1 Like

Causation mumble mumble

Is this the same measure for obesity in the US and Europe?

The most obese US states also have the highest medical expenses and the highest uninsured rates and most of them rejected the Medicaid expansion and they don’t want them no Obummercare. But correlation is not causation. Might just be coincidence.

5 Likes

That second map is a good illustration of why the South shall not rise again, at least not until it gets a personal trainer who forces it to get its shit together.

For a place called “the Bible Belt” it’s amazing those states can even button their pants.

8 Likes

Glasgow.

(I’ll see myself out)

1 Like

Laugh all you want. When the seas rise those with thick coats of blubber will be best adapted to make new prosperous lives as amphibians in our drowned coastal cities.

6 Likes

Considering the number of buckles, it’s really more of a bible bondage harness.

1 Like

More specifically, the one guy over there who came up with deep-fried mars bars.

Yeah. While I appreciate chippies that are open late when you are stumbling back soused, you don’t tend to make great life or health decisions.

(I’ll take the deep fried pizza haddock sausage roll ball of dough! Ta!)

1 Like

I’m going to guess that Moldova being the skinniest nation in Europe by a fair margin is not for happy reasons.

2 Likes

If you actually hit the ground and walked around you’d likely find a high correlation between way-fat people and way-poor people eating cheap, starchy food.

Food stamps and the like can give you enough money to eat, but there are all sorts of cultural, retail-economic, and educational headwinds to eating well.

I spend way less on food than the amounts posted in “food stamp challenge” events, but I live in a hyper-competitive grocery environment. On the way home or within 1.6 miles of my house:

• Winco (discount grocery)
  • Fred Meyer (Kroger brand)
  • Safeway
  • Whole Foods
  • Trader Joe’s
  • Walmart Outlet (groceries only)

And a little farther out (2 miles?)

• Albertson’s
  • Grocery Outlet

Winco in particular has amazing prices on produce. And below my radar: Indian, Mexican, and asian grocers.

A poor rural area, or a poor city or suburb with crappy mass transit, won’t have the variety and competition.

But Glaswegians simply don’t live long enough to have that much of an impact on the overall obesity rate…
(I’ll go out with you.)

Am I the only one to notice that Alaska, Wisconsin, Iowa, Pennsylvania and Georgia are shaded the wrong color? According to the key above the map, these states are in various categories according to their colors, but the numbers reported for these States indicate they should each be in the next higher bracket. Did someone just update the text on the map from the previous version without taking the time to also update the shading?

Perhaps I am just being too nit-picky. It probably doesn’t matter much.

Since when are the UK and Turkey the happiest nations in the world? I mostly see articles about how Netherland is the happiest nation in the world.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.