Oft-cited student loan expert turns out to be fake persona affiliated with lenders

Here’s an anecdote from another era:

At one point, when I worked in a call-center, postal mail was elevated from floor level peons to other departments by using pseudonyms for replies.

I suppose the idea was that it would protect the identity of the employees making crappy replies that were largely indefensible but in the best interest of the corporation.

It’s also likely that the turnover rate was so high, that a pseudonym was required to keep track of correspondence files over the course of multiple employees quitting their jobs in disgust.

… Thus leading us back again to the “largely indefensible” part of the job.

In any case, anything put into writing was treated as a potential legal liability for the business model.

Fall on your swords, my vassals! The royal corporate personhood must remain immortal!

giphy

3 Likes

I had to look it up:

Late stage capitalism.

1 Like

In an effort to provide transparency, CNBC is preserving the original report published on March 23.

It’s appreciated.

Thanks for the explanation of the obvious. I’m not the one who initially brought up the chronological ages. Look one comment below my original for that. My point was that the legacy print newspapers have been flogging this without bothering to check, despite their vaunted “layer s and layers” of fact checkers.

That it was finally found by a magazine that is also “old media” is technically correct, (the best kind of correct according to the internet) but irrelevant.

There was a story a while back about how corporations pressure journalists to never quote spokespeople by name. Rather they want the ‘facts’ to be presented as if they were coming from the journalists themselves.

This seems like the end run for when the journalists refuse to play that game. Rather than having it come from a spokesperson, make it come from an ‘expert’.

At all costs the corporations make sure they are never considered the source of the propaganda that they are the source of.

1 Like

Actually I think that given its something with no physical presence, created from the aggregate digital contributions of several individuals… calling it a “cloud” kinda makes sense. He’s a crowdsourced individual.

2 Likes

A cloud of authors they drew upon for content.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.