Oh hey guy we might be sending ground troops to Iraq after all

If he believes it is necessary, he will advise it. How does that make him anything other than an honest advisor?

To spell it out: If Obama’s statements and promises affected his advice, Obama’d be making decisions based on what his advisors guessed he wanted to do in the first place.

I understand you don’t want to send troops, but picking on this quote is ridiculous.

For Dick? Fuckin’ cushty. For large swathes of the world? Well…

1 Like

Shit, both us and the Cousins have been terrorising and dominating Iraq for aaaages, both directly and via proxies. Didn’t Churchill gas the Kurds way before it was fashionable?

2 Likes

@anon62122146 @GilbertWham

OK I’ll admit I had a momentary lapse of reason and thought of Cheney like he might be a human being with a heart that beats and a mind capable of something resembling contrition, and the basic semblance of some sincerity in his stated vision.

Doof!

Just look at it:

3 Likes

Dear God. Fuck that guy.

2 Likes

Just remember to take the guns with you when you leave this time.

1 Like

Why? They already made money selling those guns, and now they get to make more selling guns and bombs to kill they guys with the guns they’ve already made money on. It’s a win-win situation.

Funnily enough, he kind of looks like Churchill.

NO, NO, NO, NO, NO and NO!

Yeah, it is. It is an unresolved conundrum for the human psyche. How do we take aggression and anger and rage and violence and killing and unfairness and turn it into something peaceful? There are no easy answers. It’s possible. We’ve seen it happen. But we don’t know how to repeat it. We don’t know how to duplicate that process. So we resort to our knee-jerk gut reactions. KILL THEM BACK! MAKE THEM PAY! THEY KILLED TWO OF OUR GUYS? WE WILL KILL TWO HUNDRED!

It is understandable. It’s justifiable. But does it need to happen? I am throwing it out there that, no, it does not need to happen. We do not have to wage war in a faraway land. It is possible that we could skip this one and still protect ourselves here at home.

Mod note: Stay on topic and play nice

First rule of war is the plan goes in the can on first engagement–but don’t engage without one. Anyway, who really thinks the adviser stays home and lets his students go into the field without him? Really? Common! He’d hate himself if something happened to them. And, in this case, something would.

The only difference between a soldier and an advisor is the branch of government they work for and the amount of money spent per head on their training and equipment.

Put another way, when all of your “advisors” are CIA employees, you can take it as a given that some of their “advice” is given very loudly and at high velocities…

1 Like

Does nobody read past the headline anymore? Obama himself hasn’t said word one about sending ground troops yet. What we have right now is that Obama has said no ground troops, and Gen. Dempsey doesn’t want to rule out the possibility that he might recommend ground troops sometime in the future. I’ll hardly be shocked Obama if goes back on his word, but let’s wait 'til it actually happens to crucify him for it.

4 Likes

F this 110% entirely. Everybody. I wish the sad-folks being duped into the military could just say enough of this worthless horseshit. Sorry I don’t have a more insightful line of reasoning but it just seems like military intervention basically equals another government business idea.

Again. Profit. Haven’t we been through this? :wink:

Truly. It means ‘no cameras’.

Yeah! That’s OUR job!

1 Like

Tubes. I heard the place is crawling with tubes!

Well, I didn’t hear about the tubes, but I know someone who did. He heard it straight from his source, who talked to the guy who knew all about it.