Old routers to blame for bad wireless internet

Still frame from hidden camera footage of SCP-2030-1 revealing itself.

Description: SCP-2030 is an anomalous phenomenon that manifests as a television series. The medium through which SCP-2030 manifests changes depending on the most popular format currently in use; as of 2014, SCP-2030 most commonly inserts itself into automated DVD rental kiosks, file sharing websites, and paid on-demand video streaming services. Prior to 2012, SCP-2030 commonly manifested as a DVD set in video rental stores, and as VHS tapes prior to 2003. Thus far, no reliable evidence that SCP-2030 manifestions took place prior to the year 1993 has been discovered; however, thirty-eight (38) seasons of programming are known to exist, implying that SCP-2030 has been active to some degree since 1976.

What. The. Fuck. In fact, WTF is that whole site?!? It’s like someone took all the wacko-spam-manifesto emails my office gets every day and distilled them into a website.

EDIT: “All works posted on this wiki, unless otherwise stated, are works of fiction. This is not a Roleplay site. The Foundation does not exist.”

My faith is restored.

2 Likes

Rent a router? My ISP here in Norway, Telenor, just sends me a new one whenever they upgrade the system, Same with my previous ISP, Tele2. The house was wired with cat5 before wifi came along so I just add the old one to a cable to make sure that wifi covers the whole house. Never heard of anyone renting a router and only people in need of very special features would buy one.

1 Like

Do yourself a favor and stay in Norway. We get a total rip-off raw deal for internet and cell service in the US. Nearly the slowest networks in the developed world at nearly the highest prices.

4 Likes

It’s our way of competing with North Korea. We challenged the USSR to be the first to the moon, now we’re challenging them to be the worst at connectivity. We’ll win. We’re the USA.

7 Likes

That made me giggle. It’s funny because it’s true. USA! USA!! USA!!!1!!1!!

3 Likes

It sounds like you’re renting a router; they just aren’t breaking out the cost of the router separate from the basic service charges in your bill.

A lot of ISPs in the US have discovered that they can make more money by breaking out the router rental as a separate charge. Most people don’t realize that they can (or don’t want to go to the trouble to) use their own router, and just pay the rental charge. Some ISPs have gone a step further by using proprietary routers that are required for service (or at least if you want to use certain features of the service, like VOIP telephone service, or in some cases TV on-screen programming guides).

2 Likes

And, as mentioned above, they use it as an excuse not to troubleshoot their own faulty connections.

Try Canada.

Now with JT!

Can’t be great for your faith that they had to add that disclaimer, though…

3 Likes

As mentioned above, you’re renting it, it’s just not a separate line item on your bill.

All ISPs here in Canada offer modem rentals, and most (if not all) of their modems also have built in wifi routers (as a “feature”). But most will let you bring your own modem as well, these days, and you can use your own router with all of them, if you want (I just disabled the wifi on my modem).

FFS, there is not anything “backwards” about wired networking. Progress means that something was improved upon, and wireless computer networking has never been as fast, secure, nor easy as most wired approaches. Of course, it can be better and easier as a solution to some specific problems, but this does not make it generally better. The problem with using consumer electronics as a benchmark of progress is that companies don’t even offer you what works best, but rather, they try to generate a lot of buzz about whatever they think should be “good enough”, while being cheap enough to favor their profit margins. Sure, this has always been the case, to some extent. But sometimes the path of iterative compromises calls attention to itself.

It’s more a matter of choosing the right tool for the job. Whiify might be the best choice for connecting you tablet that you wander around with. But even if it is, doesn’t mean that it is your best choice for everything else as well, as some tur-key solutions might lead people to assume.

1 Like

Not a techie here, but we were having deep, deep wireless issues. Very big house, lots of users hogging bandwidth esp when it came to TV time (a few kids and us all on diff Netflix/Hulu at the same time), and an aging crappy router. Every day I’d have to reset it once, twice, thrice – and half the time it just plumb didn’t send signal where signal was needed, even with repeaters (which were their own headache)

Bought an Archer C9, installed it as a bridge two months back –

Holy crap, we’re in bandwidth heaven. It looks bizarre, yes, but I really don’t care, and neither does anyone else, far as I can tell. Everything just works wonderfully, as it should.

So get whatever router you want, but trust me, don’t worry about the look. You’ll forget it as you’re d/ling or streaming or doing all those other things we should be able to do perfectly here in Back to The Future land…

Cut a hole in the top and put a fan in it.

Virtually all low end routers suck because the manufacturers can save a nickel or two by leaving heatsinks off the radio chip and cpu. As soon as the warranty expires they die a slow heat death.

1 Like

Directional antennae and a radio that can push a full 150mw (FCC limit) without clipping or burning up.

1 Like

entity447b?
are you the end-result of the experiment with bringing 447-1/447-2 into contact with a dead body?
SCP-447 - SCP Foundation

4 Likes

It’s funny you should ask that, because it just so happens [REDACTED].

But of course it [DATA EXPUNGED] in the end.

6 Likes

Also drill a ton of holes in your rental unit. Or have wires strewn across the house.

1 Like

Hey, if you really need to extend range, and WIFI ain’t cutting it, you can always try one of the Powerline network adapters. They send signals through the electrical wiring, and if you have the right configuration and fat enough wiring in your house, you can get about 800mbps between power adapters. I’ve been using a set of powerline adapters for years now. They’re not the best, actually they were pretty cheapo, and the worst issue I’ve had so far is I need to unplug them and re-plug them about once a year. I don’t know why, but they lock up occasionally, and I can’t get out to the internet until both adapters are power cycled.

It happens rarely enough that it’s not a big deal to me, and I’m sure if you spent more than $40 on a set, you’d get better results.

1 Like

Yeah, I’ve been meaning to try those out. Thanks for reminding me.

1 Like

Make sure that you buy from a place with reasonable return policies, as sometimes, they simply do not work. Or a set from one manufacturer may not work, while a set from another manufacturer does. Your mileage, very much, may vary.