Once there was a show called "The Hat Squad" and it was very, very stupid

Typical anti-Fedora bigotry.

1 Like

And they’re not even wearing Fedoras. Those hats have too wide of brims.

There have been dumber shows.

“It’s About Time” was about astronauts who accidently go back in time to hang out with cavemen - real life Flintstones. IIRC, it got at least one more season because they bring the cavemen to modern times.

1 Like

I did not know about this :^)

of course, the squad that beats the shit out of perps and the chief and judges tacitly allow it is the Red Dogs, as immortalized by Goodie Mob:

reminds me of Crime Story.

Thanks for the trip down memory lane. That show was a favorite of my best friend.

It was holy light-hearted fare?

1 Like

Cavemen = idiocy
Captain Caveman = freakin’ awesome wrongness!

The cartoon Fish Police is based on a comic book from the mid80s that happens to be pretty great. Here’s a page that shows the lead, and should help explain why it was much much better than Hanna Barbara’s interpretation of it.

Need to point out . . . “Get Smart” . . . Dumb idea great execution. “Batman” Dumb idea great execution. “Wild West” Dumb idea great execution. “Dick Van Dyke Show,” “The Seinfeld Show.” Do I need to go on.

The more telling predictor is WHO WROTE IT. Which specific human beings made that shit up. Ideas are easy, execution is hard.

1 Like

Also the best scene in “Burn After Reading” was CIA Agent David Rasche explaining the situation to his boss J. K. Simmons (Law & Order, Oz, Farmers Insurance commercials)

I’m probably not the first to mention this, Cory… but if you stop and think about what you just said - almost any fuckwit is allowed to breed or drive.

I remember the ads for that malarkey, and based on those alone, I reckon I can say with 99% certainty the show was awful and you had crap taste in telly. Still, there wasn’t a whole lot to choose from back then; these days it’s a hell of a lot easier to enjoy something worthwhile.

There have been a couple of times I’ve been surprised at how not terrible a show was based on how terrible it looked in the ads. Sometimes a show or movie is fine but the people who made the ads for it are complete morons.

1 Like

Could be, but you really do have to watch a show to properly judge it. Good writing, acting and directing can pull off what seem to be incredibly stupid ideas. There are few dumber ideas than a sit com based in a WWII Nazi prison camp, but it worked, and worked very well. Without watching the show you’d never know that, though.

2 Likes

A bad trailer/ad campaign can kill a movie or series. After all, these days if you don’t have a decently large audience by three shows in, you’re likely to get yanked. A movie not making bank won’t spend much time in the theater.

Thankfully - DVDs (and now streaming) changed the way that people look at the success of media. Some of the most popular movies of all time were originally low box return, but then went on to find later glory. For TV, just think “Firefly”.

EDIT: And then there are brilliant, direct promos - like this one for Rick and Morty. (Yay Rick and Morty!)

Dude, I was a writer on that show. Of course it was bad, but that happens in TV sometimes. Stephen Cannell created it!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.