One company bought all the retail outlets for glasses, used that to force sales of all the eyewear companies and jacked up prices by as much as 1000%

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/03/12/luxottica.html

6 Likes

This is an industry desperately in need of disruption by an online retailer like https://www.eyebuydirect.com/eyeglasses

Downside is that like shoes it’s hard to figure out if the fit is perfect until you try them on, and it’s really important to have a good fit if you’re wearing them all day long.

16 Likes

Small comment on the article, i would include a link to the definition of Monopsony or define it within the article. It’s not a common word and dropping it without context can break the reading flow… i had to go back to it a few times thinking it was a glaring typo. Looked it up just to be extra sure.

15 Likes

Zenni Optical lets you upload your headshot and try the glasses on virtually. It’s not perfect, but it’s close enough. And I’ve found that if the fit needs fine tuning, you can bring it to a brick and mortar, and they’ll adjust it for you for free, or a nominal fee.

16 Likes

As far as i know there are a few successful ventures that make/sell eyewear for a fair price. But since i don’t require corrective lenses my impressions on that market aren’t terribly informed. I’m sure i’ll need glasses at some point but thus far i’ve lucked out.

5 Likes

It’s gotten bad for me in the last year. I used to have 15/15 vision…but after getting hit by a car in 2006 I started having some blurring and distance issues in my right eye. It had remained relatively stable at 20/20 up until this past year…its gotten incredibly difficult to read distances, and digital signage is particularly hard as the lighting just blends and blurs way too easily.

Traditional road signs I can read fine…but the newer LED ones are horrid.

I need to get to an optometrist rather soon.

7 Likes

I got my prescription at a local optometrist, also got an expensive frame & lenses there. The rubberized bit on the earpiece wore out within 2 months & started jabbing me with the underlying metal. The optometrist replaced it under warranty.

Then for no particular reason I purchased extra pairs from zennioptical.com & goggles4u.com for prices ranging from $15 to $50 (prescription sunglasses w/ bells & whistles) each. I forget which one, but one of the afore mentioned companies sent a PD ruler with my order, so it’ll be easier to measure in the future. I don’t wear the expensive ones anymore. Too expensive and not any better quality. F@*k these capitalist pigs.

16 Likes

You might still find Zenni Optical useful. If you are 20/20, they will still sell you glasses. For fashion or sunglasses. They didn’t charge for tinting last time I bought from them. Might be cheaper to buy from Amazon, but more style choices.

8 Likes

I know what they need…
… a tax break!

What kind of company calls itself “Luxottica” anyway?
How over-the-top must these monsters be?

8 Likes

Zenni’s been amazing for us. I’ve bought $500.00 pairs of glasses that didn’t hold up as well as pairs I’ve gotten for less than $30.00 from them.

8 Likes

They’re the Nobody of a business named Alcutoit or Lacutito that funded Organization XIII, perhaps?

2 Likes

I’ve worn glasses since I was three. I’m… well over that now. Let it go there.

At least four years ago, Luxottica became known to me for what was going on (I needed a new pair) when a co-worker filled me in on them.

The Zenni Optical/Goggles4u route don’t work for me due oddities in my 'scrip and certain demands that I make (glass lenses only please).

I wish I could get decent glasses at a decent price.

4 Likes

It’s a Swiss company.

4 Likes

This violates even the Reagan era view of monopolies. They have raised the prices to a point where consumers are being hurt. Congress needs to act or stop pretending they are actually a functioning body.

15 Likes

I get my glasses from a local optometrist, not a Luxottica-owned chain.

My company is self-insured but uses VSP as the benefit administrator. VSP doesn’t seem to be connected to Luxottica.

My current frames are Nifties, Nike, and Izod, none of which seem to be Luxottica brands.

So that leaves the labs that grind the lenses. For my latest pair, the optician said he chose the “good” lab in Chicago as opposed to their regular lab somewhere in Texas. (And, indeed, they are noticeably better in the placement of the sweet spot for my progressive lenses.) I wonder if I can figure out which labs they use and see if either or both are owned by Luxottica.

3 Likes

I’ve been buying from EyeBuyDirect and Zenni for 10 years. My glasses look great and they cost maybe $75 per pair for progressive lenses. Can’t imagine going back to a brick-and-mortar optician. There is a locally owned place near me, but they’re “luxury-level” and their glasses are $500, minimum.

6 Likes

An Italian one? “Ottica” = “optical”.

3 Likes
6 Likes

Somebody should keep their mind out of the gutter.

Exactly. And Lux means light.

Nasty business they are indeed. My glasses have become more expensive every time I need a new pair. And I just know it’s not because there’s a global glass shortage or something. I’ve known that luxottica is a (worldwide) monopolist, but I don’t really like buying glasses online, so I don’t really know how to escape their grasp.

3 Likes