One night of lost sleep works as well as ketamine in fighting depression, says new study

Originally published at: Sleepless night fights depression, groundbreaking study reveals

3 Likes

They couldn’t find any humans to volunteer?

5 Likes

I’m sure the sociopathic insomniac workaholics who have risen to the top of org charts will likely take this in stride and not use it as a cudgel against their workers who dare to value work-life balance.

29 Likes

Yeah … I’m going to need to see more studies with larger sample sizes before I start taking this seriously. I deal with depression and missing a night’s worth of sleep makes me feel much worse, not better. Of course I understand that I am a sample size of one and probably not part of Control Group Kepler-Seven, but I’d be surprised if any one with depression finds otherwise.

24 Likes

@frauenfelder Was that image specifically or more randomly selected, because it looks a lot like John Sessions

Cool story. Too bad sleep deprivation exacerbates my depression… :upside_down_face:

9 Likes

Also anecdotally, I’ve certainly seen insomnia snap someone out of a depressive episode but only in cases where it induced a manic episode which is also not great.

10 Likes

To investigate the effects of an all-nighter, the researchers induced mild sleep deprivation

Hmm, yes, seems interesting, I wonder what they fou-

in mice

Oh. Moving on…

10 Likes

So obviously, staying up all night doing ketamine would have twice the effect?

12 Likes

Yeah … so going from a condition that makes it difficult to live my life to one that also makes it difficult to live my life. No thank you!

10 Likes

How can you even tell when a mouse is depressed?

d8ohur9-d0992af7-61c9-44da-a3fc-2a16eac53bfc

5 Likes

uh, that’s not my experience

9 Likes

Doesn’t work for me, although I haven’t tried ketamine to compare it to. Depression is more of a symptom than the illness in my case though.

10 Likes

I’m not sure if there have been advances in the area; but historical practice was a forced swim test or a tail-suspension test.(More evocatively ‘behavioral despair test’)

2 Likes

Gotta agree with the previous comments. Sleep deprivation makes my depression worse for several days.
I do really want to try ketamine tho

No Way GIF by PBS

8 Likes

Umm, I think the authors need to be up front about the very real limitations of this study. They’re extrapolating a whole heck of a lot to infer – from behavior changes in a small group of mice – that this same intervention is as effective as ketamine, which has been studied for decades among actual humans with refractory depression.

7 Likes

6 Likes

yes, I can confirm that from personal experience.

microdosed lsd worked for me;

5 Likes

I have zero doubt that there are already a storm of podcasts and men’s health ‘technique’ BS merchants developing a patter for ‘improving performance’. Plus buy our supplements, of course.

6 Likes

I have to disagree with this study with my sample size of one. I get ketamine weekly for depression. I, also have frequent sleepless nights. Not sleeping doesn’t give any positive effect to me, it makes me feel like shit the next day, and ketamine helps me get through the week. However, if I’m manic, then sleepless nights tend to exacerbate my mania.

10 Likes