One of the world's largest private equity firms just bought one of the world's largest library ebook companies

The Toys R Us example is a good one, if you aren’t already sick of the topic.
Or it can help to think of it in ecological terms. A family that wants generational careers in forestry is going to manage their timberland much differently than a company seeking to extract maximum profit in minimum time, and screw any external or environmental consequences. I’m sure you can guess which represents PE in this analogy.

2 Likes

Well, it won’t end well for public libraries and the people who use them, or for Overdrive’s employees and creditors. But the people who bought the company will make out like bandits. Because they are bandits.

2 Likes

re: real-estate graph. Yeah, reminds me of the panama graph (neo4j): https://offshoreleaks.icij.org/pages/database

@anon18417063 - yup, that was my next point. The promises of Ethereum/blockchain are around the corner so a distributed/democratic fund is possible. But lots of ways to mess it up.

Yeah, none of that is how parasites like KKR think or work.

1 Like

“Unpopular”=/=“crappy”.

My absolute favorite things (and even formative to me things) are deeply unpopular—apparently to the point of obscurity.

Some of them I found in libraries—essential, too, for a navy brat growing up purging most of their things every 3 years (or 18 months).

3 Likes

Amazon seems like they’re trying to be that service with Kindle Unlimited. Unfortunately at present there don’t seem to be nearly enough titles available for my taste.

1 Like

that right there is the really the whole point of business management. management is supposed to contain people who’s job it is to know how to figure that out.

it feels like that role has been left at the wayside in the past few decades though because there’s so much quick cash to make in private equity, the stock market, etc. – it’s all money management now, not business management.

3 Likes

FTFY. KKR, Bain Capital et al make me puke.

4 Likes

@jon_bremont if you have ideas about it, would love to have a real convo. I admit trying to start a business like the one I mentioned but alas it wasn’t the correct time to launch it several years ago.

It works in models, but only if you get away from the fuck you / get fucked mentality of capitalism. The current model I’ve been working on is a micro-lending / micro-payback model with nickels on the dollar for the firm. I totally understand the chop shop model and I wouldn’t necessarily buy things like Uber or Audible, more like pre-revenue startups and stakes in small businesses. The process is like this:
1.) pay 5$ to bucket fund (monthly)
2.) bucket fund is used to lend/invest (continuously)
3.) returns split among those who filled the bucket. (anually)

Think if it as a monthly savings account that doesn’t pay interest, it pays what it actually earns.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.