Online communication: "If you just message 'hi' and nothing else I assume I’m getting fired"

If by “sassy” you mean smart-ass who can’t keep her mouth shut, then probably. :wink:

10 Likes

Agreed. I don’t worry I’ll be fired when I get a “hi” message from my boss, unless it’s followed by “come to my office and bring all your stuff.” What stresses me is that whatever’s coming next isn’t something I’m going to want to hear. So far it’s about 70% nothing, 30% something.

Because of those odds, my anxiety is triggered while I reply “What’s up?” and wait for whatever’s coming.

Would it be different if he just said what he wanted at the outset? I guess I’ll never (in this job) know.

3 Likes

Up there: You send out something and get back:

k

3 Likes

I hate the emails that have the subject: HELP

There’s no need to shout, and there’s no need to imply I won’t help you with your problem if you don’t actually ask for help. It’s just insulting, it’s my job to help you. God I hate the “HELP” email.

4 Likes

Signature blocks have their uses in cases where directory data aren’t shared automatically (in-company I can get your phone number if needed from the directory; an email from the outside or see personal account doesn’t carry this data unless you add it somehow) or simply don’t accurately capture all the people using cellphones rather than their ‘real’ number that exists as an unchecked abstraction on the PBX); but every time I see that

This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you have received this email in error…

chunk I have to restrain my impulse to spit acidic bile at the sender and then leak the contents wherever it would be most damaging. The ones that go on for several paragraphs, those are even worse.

6 Likes

Like this? (Worth 2 minutes of anyone’s time)

3 Likes

and cool kids don’t say ‘cool kids’

1 Like

14 Likes

4 Likes

Ooh, one word earworm. :grimacing:

6 Likes

13 Likes

poster%20lionel%20ritchie%20hello

13 Likes

Cutting to the chase…
lionel-richie-cutting-board-300x250

10 Likes

A friend of mine once thought I was upset at her because I started every email I sent to her with her name, a comma, and a blank line. Looking back I suppose it did look a bit formal, which can seem strange.

2 Likes

Or PLEASE READ.

5 Likes

In an era when The United States Secretary of State can be fired via Tweet I don’t think it’s at all unreasonable for an average shlub to worry that they could be fired via email, or in the very least get an email message amounting to “please see me in my office so I can fire you.”

10 Likes

I sometimes get those from one of my clients’ employees, usually with a couple of exclamation points attached. She’s great in other respects, but I’m in the process of gently training her to state the problem in the subject line along with a threat-level indicator like “URGENT:” so I don’t have a coronary every time I get an e-mail from her.

4 Likes

Manners. noun. “Polite or well-bred social behavior.” See also etiquette, protocol, politeness, civility.

4 Likes

related:

the day and the thread make this seem appropriate to me.

11 Likes

H.I.

12 Likes