Oops, Cindy Sherman designed a pool float

At first I wondered if Cindy Sherman had put The Final Pam on a pool float

2 Likes

Accidents are good for art though.

Just need to sue the iPhone for creating derivative art… :thinking:

1 Like

hmmph… Don’t you know that all art is derivative? Jeez… /s
(do I get snooty points for that one?)
[particularly as I used to hear the exchange “I don’t know, I mean it’s technically good, but it’s so derivative…” “hmmmph… All art is derivative dear.” (spoken by two people who the art world couldn’t give two shits about) or some variant thereof at every show/gallery opening/you name it back in my “art” days].

2 Likes

This article linked to at the top of her Instagram page appears to cover what she’s up to, and the inspiration behind it, etc:

Although it doesn’t explain why she’s making a $250 pool floaty from an “accidental image”.

Originally, Sherman planned to work from different photographs for this piece, but after completing the first, she said to herself, “You know, let’s see if I can make the same image completely different, because it’s so easy to do with the app.” By taking a single photo and running it through a series of algorithms, conjuring an array of images from one source, she is indulging a process that is central to an era when surface-level identity and truth can seem variegated and unmoored—a reality at once disorienting, disturbing, and, in the right hands, deeply thrilling.

I’m… not that impressed.

Apparently people that matter like it though, so good for her.

2 Likes

Here the word art is intended to mean a selfie with an accidental application of a software algorithm Sherman neither created nor intended to use. This is the same use of the word art that you may apply to the result of your 9 yo doing the same thing.

It’s a pool raft. I can’t help but wonder where that thumb is supposed to be going.

I mean, I like her stuff, not that I matter.

1 Like

Oh no, my implication was that ultimately my opinion doesn’t matter, not that people that enjoy her work don’t matter.

I’m not her market base. Especially when it comes to this current project. I despise selfies and the whole rise of selfies in our culture. Making selfies grotesque isn’t enough to draw me in.

And I really do wish her all the luck, for what that’s worth.

I just don’t get the high priced floaty, unless it’s a further statement on the ridiculousness of it all.

I would rather have a pool float with a giant error message box or a blue screen of death. That would be a happy accident too.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.