Optimists live longer

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/08/26/optimists-live-longer.html

4 Likes

I’m a pessimist so that I can prepare for the worse. Maybe I’ll live longer because I won’t walk out into the street expecting that car to stop in time.

5 Likes

Sure optimists may live longer, but for us pessimists it will feel longer.

65 Likes

Dang it :exclamation:

Now I have something else to be pessimistic about :stuck_out_tongue:

20 Likes

Well, fuck those optimistic fucks.

22 Likes

Optimists extend their misery

• I corrected the headline
31 Likes

“… Luckily, optimists see this as a benefit.”

13 Likes

If you call that living.

11 Likes

Fortunately it’s not a truly binary universe (aren’t they discovering “qutrits” now?) – therefore, consider:

OPTIMIST: The glass is half full!
PESSIMIST: The glass is half empty.
REALIST: The glass contains N ml. of liquid. Now, do you have a more interesting question?

12 Likes

I’ll split the difference:

[lyrics by Mel Brooks – currently age 93]

11 Likes

I’d love to be an optimist but everything sucks. What am I supposed to do?

14 Likes

Unless they are American, then it’s in fluid ounces. (What a stupid measurement.)

3 Likes

20 Likes

That was exactly the thought that ran through my mind.

And only optimists would believe that you can choose not to be a pessimist.

12 Likes

That is just the Optimism speaking.

5 Likes

ENGINEER: That glass is not the optimal size.

21 Likes

From TFA:

“These relations were independent of socioeconomic status, health conditions, depression, social integration, and health behaviors (e.g., smoking, diet, and alcohol use).”

I’m all for controlling confounding variables; but what kind of sample lets you disentangle the optimists from the depressed optimists(? A thing now?); or people who believe good things will happen from people who are reporting their life experience that good things happen?

Am I underestimating the supply of friendless alcoholics with chronic pain and a Panglossean outlook? The statistical wizardry of the contemporary researcher?

11 Likes

PHYSICIST: Postulate a perfectly spherical glass…

14 Likes

Depressed optimists aren’t a thing. Definitionally. The closest I can think of is bipolar.

INDUSTRIAL DESIGNER: Did you fail topology or have you never used a glass, physicist?

9 Likes