Our Generation Ships Will Sink

A future humanity that relies exclusively on agriculture for food is as ludicrous as a future humanity which relies on firewood for heat.

5 Likes

But bioengineering and nanotechnology hardly exist and will definitely kill us all anyway.

1 Like

I only watch Al Goatzeera

5 Likes

But goats are dangerous, ornery animals and will likely eat the critical systems aboard a spaceship, killing all the occupants. What are you, crazy!? Goat crazy, thatā€™s the worst kind!

6 Likes

Iā€™m not going to agree with you (Iā€™m too stubborn!), but thank you for introducing yourself.

Welcome to the fold!

9 Likes

Folding space is just another pipe dream, even if it is a proper solution to relativity, itā€™d probably spaghettify the spacefarers, then what would the inevitable dangerous alien life-forms eat when they capture us?

1 Like

Flying spaghetti monsters?

4 Likes

And religion! Of course, how long before the idiots aboard any kind of ship all create opposing religions and blow themselves up for their new space-god. Jesus it just keeps getting worse and worseā€¦

I mean SpaceJesus, obviously.

2 Likes

paging @japhroaig

13 Likes

2 Likes

Donā€™t get me started on science fiction! Can you imagine the labyrinthine crap people aboard a spaceship will write to try and pass the time!? People will purge themselves out of the space-air-lock to try and get away from the weekly book-club readings tannoyed over the whole ship.

3 Likes

:heart_eyes: Ted Cogswell!!!

A favorite story of mine was The Spectre General as I found it in The Science Fiction Hall of Fame, Volume Two without-a-cover that I got from an uncle. Years later, I discover myself working at a small 2-year collitch in NorthEastern PA, where Cogswell ended up teaching English until he died. His wife donated copies of many of his books to the library (which I read, but not the above) and I got to hear stories of ā€œOld Prof Cogswellā€ riding up to the building on his motorcycle, dressed in tweed and leather.

3 Likes

Space Marines! How could I forget about the space marines, whoā€™s unflinching eradication of anything bad for the galactic empire would no doubt cause any flimsy generational ships to be annihilated before their journey had even begun!

God! It just keeps getting worse and worse.

2 Likes

I think theyā€™ll all start writing over wrought love stories to agrarian societiesā€¦

6 Likes

I honestly donā€™t see why people clamor for pie in the sky, semi impossible ā€˜solutionsā€™ to problems we donā€™t really even have.

As @clayton_coffman has pointed out the real breakthroughs are happening in ā€˜boringā€™ (well,not to me) areas.

Space, survival of a species, etc. are not manifest destiny. And thatā€™s okay!

@othermichael speaking of spice, in celebration of being able to eat again, I have a tub of wasabi, more garam masala than you can shake a stick at, and @awjt s awesome dried peppers. Imma gonna mix it all in a bowl and eat it like cereal.

12 Likes

Please to be putting that on youtubeā€¦

8 Likes

ā€¦ speaking of sewage holding pondsā€¦

1 Like

Agrarian societies! NOOOOO! Run for the hills that you left back on earth. No where to hide!

Iā€™mā€¦ Iā€™m starting to find this difficult.

2 Likes

The comedic possibilities of space flight are tremendous! How do we know that they wonā€™t laugh themselves to death on space-jokes! Prove that!

2 Likes

OT but not reallyā€¦ did you know ā€œAmish Romanceā€ was a book genre. An entire genreā€¦

3 Likes