Paper Dresses and psychedelic catsuits: when airline fashion was flying high

[Permalink]

""It used to be that air travel was like a ride in a flying limo, but today the ambiance is not much better than going Greyhound."
It used to be that traveling Greyhound was like a ride in a wheeled homeless shelter; but today the ride is like a rolling limo; all the space that's been stolen from airline seating's been transferred to bus 'luxury'... ambiance still 'bout the same, though.

If you are interested in flight attendant uniforms from the good old days, check out the Flight Path museum at LAX. They have a great collection.

I know I'm not supposed to like those mod '60s styles. I know they're misogynist exhibition of women employees qua trophies. But damn they were sweet.

"It used to be that air travel was like a ride in a flying limo, but today the ambiance is not much better than going Greyhound."

Bus to Mexico.

Somehow when I was a very little boy, my parents sometimes put me on a Braniff flight to go see my grandparents. Of course I had no concept of "sexy" but I remember really liking the super colorful environment and clothes the staff wore.

About 10 years ago PARCO (a department store chain here in Japan) did a Braniff International design retrospective exhibit with all sorts of corporate stuff and uniforms from the era. Also in 2012 there were the Braniff Converse shoes here in Japan. I got the orange high tops.

Sure, I like good design, but I'd still rather have non-sexist air travel.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.