Paradise Papers reveal cozy relationship between Stubhub and Canadian botmaster/scalper kingpin

Funny that companies like Ticketron haven’t done that. Instead, they’ve lobbied for laws to make scalper bots illegal. Right, that’ll work when they operate though layers of bots, and the main operation is probably elsewhere.

They’ve off-loaded their business costs for running a secure system onto the public, relying on a vain hope that law enforcement and the courts can deal with it.

Perhaps it’s due to mere corporate greed, but I suspect it’s personal greed for some people inside the ticket companies who are getting money not to close the loopholes.

2 Likes

@TripleE
… and there is, of course, number 5)

I would go maybe further and say that if they manage to reduce the avg. price asking price (by banning scalping or ticket auctions) their profits will reduce as well. That is assuming that they charge the percentage of the ticket price, which some of them do (at least here in Europe). However even if they charge per transaction scalping/speculation may increase the number of transactions carried out on each ticket.

This only explain why ticket companies don’t do anything to change the system. Continuing my conspiracy theories: If the ticket company has a leverage on the label (“We won’t sell your tickets if you want to do your way”) that explains also why labels/artists can’t do anything about that.

Now I can’t understand why wouldn’t spotify/apple music/google whatever/amazon prime(?) start selling tickets themselves. As they have a bit different set of incentives (their primary market is somewhere else) they won’t care about few bucks here and there at the price of some shady dealings with scalpers.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.