Ticketmaster fined $10m over "instrusion" into competitor's site

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/12/31/ticketmaster-fined-10m-over-instrusion-into-competitors-site.html

4 Likes

Whenever I see the word “Ticketmaster” in any headline anywhere I know I’m in for some serious corporate sleaze.

14 Likes

I guess the question is whether or not the fine was considered an acceptable business expense? I mean, unless TM are, for example, required to print “we stole commercial information belonging to a rival” on every ticket that they subsequently sell, then is it really going to have any effect on them? I mean, prior history suggests not.

6 Likes

Is there going to be an additional intrusion fine fee?

Yes.

8 Likes

In other words,

It’s a criminal syndicate- TM CEO should be in prison.

12 Likes

Perhaps the feds could call the fine a “convenience fee”?

7 Likes

This is part of why they are commonly known as “Ticket Bastard”.

5 Likes

I do everything I can to not use them, but some times if you want to go to a show, they are the only option. HATE those fuckers. They are worse than cable companies in fucking over their customers.

5 Likes

Breaking into systems is not an occasion for corporate fines; it’s a federal felony. Actual people should be going to actual jail for this. I get reminded of this by Sony every time I play one of their dvds.

7 Likes

One hopes there will be extreme civil penalties to come now, since having been fined by the DOJ is a pretty convincing bit of evidence of guilt for a jury.

5 Likes

I have gone out of my way numerous times to buy tickets directly from the box office when available (or order them from the venue for will-call). It’s a pain in the ass and only works for a few venues I know don’t give TM a piece of the action, but every time feels like a tiny little victory.

Plus, the box office attendants let me pick any damn seat I want instead of TM’s algorithmically-generated “fuck you, you sit behind the pole” seating.

2 Likes

Now, now… it was a corporation that did this, so we can’t just throw those valuable citizens in jail! Jails are for the common rabble, not for the elites! /s

3 Likes

They most certainly do NOT screw over their customers. You are just under the misapprehension that you the concert goer are their customer. You are not. The venues are the customer, contracting out their ticketing to Ticket Bastards. Ticket Bastards treat their customers like royalty, rock royalty that is, up to and including “party favors,” like um tow trucks and snow blowers.

Performers and audiences are just raw materials in the supply chain, to be treated with all the consideration that Walmart shows suppliers, or mining companies treat rain forests. Late stage capitalism-- never forget, as often or not, YOU are the product, not the customer.

7 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.