Patrick Rothfuss narrates "The Slow Regard of Silent Things"

[Permalink]

Don’t get me wrong, I eagerly await the final installment of the Kingkiller Chronicle, and fully intend to buy a copy of Slow Regard… but is this actually a novel? I had the impression from the Amazon page that it was a brief story to accompany the larger work.

At 176 pages, it is long enough to qualify.

I was so psyched when I saw that this was coming out in October. And only $9.99 for the Kindle edition (yes, yes, I know, DRM…) Then I saw the page count. 176 pages. That’s a mere novella compared to the length of Rothfuss’ regular tomes. WTF? Only then did I realize the book should be titled “The Book Patrick Rothfuss Wrote Instead of the One You Have Been Waiting For,” and I’d been suckered. Grrr… Wake me up when the end to the trilogy comes out.

As to Rothfuss’ narration, the sample audio is suspiciously lacking any example of the thing that really sets good audiobook readers from bad or even just ordinary ones: the ability to read and act the dialogue of multiple characters. The sample only included narration, not dialogue. Whether that is because Auri, as a recluse, has no dialogue or because they deliberately chose to omit Rothfuss’ attempts at reading dialogue, either way I’m not really sold on the book or the author’s reading of it, in spite of the fact I liked In The Name of the Wind and The Wise Man’s Fear and am eagerly awaiting the final book.

1 Like

Thank you! I couldn’t find a page count when I looked, but then again I was doing six other things at the same time. The perils of multitasking…

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.