Patronscan wants cities to require bars to scan your ID with its service so it can maintain a secret, unaccountable blacklist

Seems like Patronscan needs to get a C&D letter from Patrón Spirits.

3 Likes

PatronViolate

Or Chinese

I’ve mostly seen them in places with lots of newly minted 21 year olds like college towns. I found that using a passport card thwarted the scanners so far, the ones I saw just try to grab the magstripe. No magstipe, no data.

And if they do slurp the data, at least I’m not leaking my address or state with a passport card

1 Like

One could make the argument that ‘innocent until proven guilty’ is a standard that the government has to be held to, but a private space like a bar does not necessarily have to be held to. The bar owner can control who comes into their bar–in fact they are required to. The bar owner may find it reasonable to keep out people who may be a risk for other patrons; the bar owner might even face liability if it were shown they knew someone was a risk. [a place that counts as a ‘public accommodation’ can’t discriminate arbitrarily, but they can tell you to leave if you’re a problem]. Admittedly, that means there’s not a particular standard being enforced, the bar owner has to wing it.

1 Like

Yes, a bar or an online group has a lower bar than the the government for evidence. I guess the question is how do you find the balance point that protects victims from predators without turning into a lynch mob that attacks anyone without thinking given that the bar for evidence is pretty low in this context?

The group I’m referring to was aware one could go to far in either direction and wanted to maximize safety while minimizing harm. This Patronscan seems to throw that concern out the window.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.