People are flying around in these jumbo personal drones in China [VIDEO]

It’s 2018, and we were promised flying cars. Where are our flying cars?!

Oh, in China. Well, that’s just great.

21 Likes

Also I hear everyone in North Korea just got a free jetpack.

9 Likes

the issue is will they have a practical range with the current state of batteries.

7 Likes

volocopter.
already exists has actual flight certification (ie. ahead of the game).

lots of new developments in this market. watch out george jetson!

2 Likes

Very long extension cords.

12 Likes

They mention a “long range” test flight of 8.8km!

5 Likes

As I said to those brothers on the beach in N. Carolina, “120 ft.? LOL. This wont even replace walking, let alone steam trains!”

12 Likes

I came here to ask that question!

3 Likes

The more I learn about how helicopters fly (and I’ve gone deep! - love X-Plane, followed up with full-on helicopter learning), the more amazed I am that they EVER left the ground, and the more incredulous I am at the wonderful magic that allows them to stay in the air.

It is fascinating.

It is wonderful.

It is beyond belief.

12 Likes
  1. Network of high-powered frikkin’ lazer beams on rooftops directed at conversion panels on their tummies.
  2. Bleed wifi and cell tower radiation into tummy conversion unit
  3. Convert body heat to electricity

[You heard it here first, folks - Invention Central ™]

8 Likes

That looks very cool, but “over 1,000 test flights” and “over 40 successful journeys”? I’m hoping that their success rate is higher than that.

Also the rotor-wash and scything blades are going to mean theses things won’t be operating in cities.

2 Likes

electric, and about 20-30 minutes of flight time.

3 Likes

I’m going to be pedantic and point out that if there are humans on board (especially a pilot), then by definition it’s not a “drone”…

4 Likes

One percenter’s escape pods for when the hordes close in

2 Likes

Take a lesson! I did about 22-ish hours in an R-22, and it was a riot. :slight_smile:

1 Like

FFS why aren’t they putting shrouds or cowls around those props or just make them ducted fans?

Oh goody I love this game. The pendant in me remembers that the article said they were passengers and that the vehicle was autonomos.

7 Likes

your comment simply affirms all the reasons for The Boring Company to exist.

1 Like

yeah - that could be a short commute to work.

1 Like

The video clearly shows that there are pilot controls, and the CEO boasts about how much easier it is to fly than all the helicopters he’s flown.

The vehicle can be autonomous, yes – the video includes random company officers and local officials taking rides, and we can assume they’re not piloting it, and it’s mentioned that you can specify a flight plan and push the start button…

Still, I’d be hesitant about calling it a “drone”. (When the pilot of a conventional jet airliner turns the autopilot on, does the jet suddenly become a drone?)

2 Likes

If the plane takes off, flies to a destination, and lands without any piloting then yes,
That the craft can also be manually piloted does not take away the crafts capabilities as a drone but rather enhances the drone by allowing intervention from the passenger if desired or required.

1 Like