Darwin award candidate flies homemade drone contraption

Originally published at: Darwin award candidate flies homemade drone contraption | Boing Boing

2 Likes

Damn, at least put on some hearing protection.

19 Likes

Hey, don’t try to shame me. I didn’t spend all of lockdown drinking beer!

I also drank whiskey…

28 Likes

Not sure why this qualifies for a Darwin. Looks like controlled flight. The Wright Brothers probably got crap about their efforts too…

49 Likes

So many spinning blades, so little face protection…

16 Likes

Yeah, I was gonna say. This is a very controlled flight with checks and obviously a lot of thought and planning beforehand.

14 Likes

World record for largest cheese grater, or skin grater if it went sideways on him.

8 Likes

I don’t why it’s necessary to slag this inventive individual as a “Darwin award qualifier” I think it belittles the work that went into that.

29 Likes

Can’t wait for the prison break using one of these.

14 Likes

They could fly in each individual drone with parts of the contraption.
Got your next Shawshank in the making!

11 Likes

Seems less risky than this flying Cuisinart piloted by Mariah Cain in her safety bikini…

24 Likes

I dunno - No head protection, no eye protection, it looks like he’s sat just above the batteries so if it should land heavily he’ll be sitting in the batteries.

Innovation has often led to removal from the gene pool due to lack of effort in the self preservation department (The Demon Core is a great example)

6 Likes

Sounds like a swarm of 10,000 bees

9 Likes

I mean - good for him. The Spirit of Larry Walter Lives on.

16 Likes

Point out one safety precaution. I’d wager there’s not even a seat belt.

4 Likes

Boy, his neighbors must love him, too. I mean, if you thought leafblowers were bad… Plus there’s always the chance he’ll end up crashing into your backyard/house.

Untethered, without even a helmet, in a crowded backyard with obstacles, surrounded by other homes… Kitty Hawk this ain’t. (Which is saying something, given the high death rate in early aviation and the lack of safety devices at the time that are now easily available.)

12 Likes

Ok, so more PPE might have been in order. Still, props the guy. Awesome, dude!

5 Likes

Other than her lack of protective gear this actually seems LESS dangerous - at least to others and to property. And if things went bust with a water landing she might be ok.

4 Likes

I thought the same thing and then I reconsidered. The individual mass of the propellers might be low enough that if they connected with an arm or a leg they might not cause more than a moderate laceration. They’d probably amputate a finger or toe. Also, she’d be scalped if her hair got caught in one. Maybe an engineer or doctor could weigh in.

2 Likes

“Woman Flies Drone!”

Umm, if she is flying it, it is NOT a drone.

That’s all.

16 Likes