Darwin award candidate flies homemade drone contraption

Shankshaw Redemption__shitty pipe dreams

10 Likes

I would say this is more Alberto Santos-Dumont then Wright brothers.

6 Likes

nmfHmPq

3 Likes

Dude! That is sooo RAD!!!

Want!

3 Likes

That was a running joke from Bojack Horseman.

16 Likes

But it’s made of drones. Hence, drone contraption.

7 Likes

There’s a precedent for that, for that matter: a glider that was built (but ultimately not used) by the POWs at Colditz.

https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/naziprison/glid_building.html (won’t onebox)

3 Likes

Could have just been my perspective, but I was like, “Watch the corner… Watch THE CORNER. Phew! Made it back down.”

6 Likes

Pun intended, or not? I need to know.

Looks like she was wearing sunscreen though.

2 Likes

Spawn of Drone coming to a theater near you.

Darwin Award, hmmmmm, he learned how to fly, stupid penguins haven’t.

1 Like
9 Likes

These guys didn’t even use gyro-stabilization!

3 Likes

Drone rejects the Lord at 0:37

Or maybe it was the other way around.

1 Like

I wanna see the Flite Test guys on YouTube do this up as an r/c: A Barbie doll rigged up with teeny drones.

The video material is actually pre covid. Found some more footage, including some speed tests chAIR episode 32 -Maximum Practical Speed TEST! Manned drone quadcopter - YouTube

6 Likes

This video gives you a much better sense of how controllable this craft is. Really a sweet piece of engineering. It’s a hell of a thing.

I’ve seen enough of these that kind of work that I have to assume we’re headed towards a future where flying a lawn chair is out there with jet skis and ATVs and skydiving as exotic but achievable hobbies.

6 Likes

Completely agree. No matter how “cool” the contraption is (or isn’t), taking off from a small cluttered backyard in the middle of a neighborhood is simply asinine.

2 Likes

Quadcopters have no redundancy. The quads I’ve flown that lost a rotor or motor flipped over and plunged straight to the ground. The auto-stabilization software cannot compensate and there is no time to react. A big enough failure in one of those circular multi-rotor frames will result in catastrophe.

The flight by the woman is safer, as long as she doesn’t fall off into the rotors. Not only is she over the water, she’s flying an octocopter. It has enough redundancy to make a controlled landing after losing a rotor/motor, maybe two.

2 Likes

Maybe you didn’t see the thing in detail - it’s not a quad copter. I didn’t count the motors but it looks like something on the order of 40 or 80 motor and rotor combos, just arranged in a quadcopter layout.

6 Likes