David Blaine floated high in the sky with giant balloons

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/09/05/david-blaine-floated-high-in-t.html

2 Likes

The CNN article on this is unintentionally hilarious. Fewer than 200 words, it’s just…off, somehow.

See David.
See David fly.
Fly, David!
Fly, fly, fly.
“Wow!” says David. “That was awesome.”
This is CNN.

7 Likes

Lawn Chair Larry is the patron saint of DIY balloon rides.

14 Likes

Too long to watch it all right now. Was the not wearing the 'chute from the start just bravado to add to the risk or was there a technical reason he had to put it on when he was up there?

2 Likes

If he doesn’t stay up there for a year without food and water he’s a pussy.

20 Likes

He’s just trying to avoid extradition.

8 Likes

Because they’re not remotely as good as padding out dead space with fluff as Blaine is. This stunt is just… nothing. He’s in no danger whatsoever. I skipped around and ended up at the end of the multi-hour affair, and the crescendo is just like 90 seconds of third-party footage of him skydiving without incident. There’s not even enough meat to manufacture drama from.

3 Likes

I watched most of it live while doing other things; I was very disappointed. He kept on saying things like “this is one of the most dangerous stunts I’ve ever performed” or “this is worse than all my previous stunts combined” (paraphrasing). Then later he said something akin to “because of my team, I felt extremely secure” (again, paraphrasing). I was very annoyed with the multiple times he asked for a sip of water and clearly showed the fancy VOSS water bottle; blatant product placement. Also, it was annoying how his team kept repeating the perceived dangers over and over to him, as if he was warned for the first time. One more thing: most of his team didn’t wear masks. Very annoying.

8 Likes

Right? Meanwhile:

“Every single stunt that I’ve ever done is about endurance and pushing past what I thought would be possible,” Blaine said in a video before the performance. “I can’t imagine that many people would dream of doing it.”

1 Like

Hasn’t David Blaine been accused of sexual assault?

3 Likes

Blaine confuses me these days. Are we supposed to understand his various “stunts” are actually tricks? Are we supposed to evaluate them as stunts? Or is there some ambiguity intended?

4 Likes

Yeah - not so much ‘sleight of hand’ as mere ‘weight of man’.

Ba-dum tish. I’ll show myself out.

3 Likes

This priest’s story is what I use as a cautionary tale:

4 Likes

Not as good as ‘Up’…

7 Likes

Yup. A couple of accusations I believe. The fact that he doesn’t have an office job and just shows up every now and again to be… let’s say next time it’s suspended over hungry grizzly bears by two guy wires for five weeks, probably helped him duck the already limited consequences of the metoo era.

4 Likes

Color me not surprised.

*sighs

4 Likes

As a citizen steward of an endangered coral reef, I have to ask: what happens to the balloons after the - ahem - pilot bails? I fully expect there to be a retrieval team to clean up his f*king mess!
Don’t need more gottdamn plastic in our ocean!

“wow! cool stunt, bro. now go clean up after yourself!”

5 Likes

For all that preparation, you would think he would be better prepared. So many times he either is or feigns to be totally confused by things that should have been second nature. I only skydived once but needed much less radio handholding than he did with 500 jumps. And I think I landed better. It seems that pretending to be a bumbling idiot is the only way he has left to create drama. Not a good look.

6 Likes

Danny Deckchair (2003)

imdb

1 Like

Apparently at least 3 times.

5 Likes