Scientist builds remote-controlled collapsing chair to study fear in people

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2017/12/27/scientist-builds-remote-contro.html

5 Likes

9 Likes

The title alone had me grinning from ear to ear.
I am not a good person.

5 Likes

You try that kind of shit with me, I’ll show you the true meaning of fear and terror.

8 Likes

Just like a recliner except someone else gets to decide. Might be fun for the person at the switch.

2 Likes

You want to talk chair fear? This is chair fear:

5 Likes

There’s always been a very fine line between legitimate psychological research devices and novelty gags.

9 Likes

I’d think both could exist in the same space… and that’s when it’s sweet!

6 Likes

David St. Hubbins: It’s such a fine line between stupid, and uh…

Nigel Tufnel: Clever.

David St. Hubbins: Yeah, and clever.

3 Likes

An earlier prototype.

6 Likes

This reminds me of a study I was doing in this old house I was renting out as a airbnb, when the chair collapsed a hole would open up in the floor showing a bunch of rusty spikes with corpses decaying on them and I would run into the room through a secret door, screaming and waving a machete while wearing a mask made out of their best friend’s face!
The gains that were made for science on each test were amazing.

6 Likes

My Google-fu is failing me…

But I recall a study from some years ago, a legit medical study with the results captured on video.

The subjects were put in a safety harness so they wouldn’t actually fall.

They were then invited to walk toward a clearly visible stumbling block and asked to trip over it.

That’s where the tricky part came in.

The researchers wanted actual stumbles, not deliberate near-falls, so they had a remotely controlled block that popped up, well in front of, the decoy stumbling block.

It worked quite well, as memory of watching the video serves.

I just wish I could find it to link here.

4 Likes

does not really beat the bucket pitched on an open door but that requires the licence to wet/moisten/dampen somebody

1 Like

works even better when you use pig blood

Oh, wait…

:fire: :fire: :fire:

credit to @anon41977465 for the horror angle.

2 Likes

Puritans. REAL men! All hands-on. No candy-ass remote-control for them. Nope.

3 Likes

…that’s a bit over the top :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’m pretty sure that’s the Puritan version of a remote control, the head Puritan stands there with a Puritan woman he is putting the moves on while ordering his servant to do the dunking.

1 Like

C’mon! Stupid-hatted, buckle-shoed, misogynistic Puritans have always been righteously dumped on… but don’t take this away from them!

1 Like

Some people only got startled, they should use this instead.

4 Likes

In most cases the subjects cried out, and some called the experimenter by name.

As a scientist, I aspire to this level of deviousness.

4 Likes