Philips dimmable LED bulb for $5

PWM basically. This makes my head hurt, so you’ll enjoy it :slight_smile: US7019469B1 - Sinewave dimmer control method - Google Patents

[quote=“shaddack, post:19, topic:55430”]
I am looking forward to quantum dot based phosphors. These could give nice tunable spectrum without the pesky dip between blue and yellow.

Also, a good light source is a metalhalide lamp. Brilliant white, with mood-uplifting properties for long winters.
[/quote]I am looking for stabilized phosphors on lamps at this point. Forget the green dip, that can be corrected for, I just want a stable source that won’t degrade or cause lumen droop.

Metal halide is… not my first solution inside. But I always say that if you’re happy with it, I’m happy for you.

[quote=“shaddack, post:19, topic:55430”]
There are days when I dream about getting the big vendors to send a few engineers each (and no managers at all, and a secrecy vow to not tell anybody who supported what variant so the managers cannot have even indirect say), locking the engineers up in some posh mountain resort, and not letting them out (like when electing a pope) until they come up with one consensual specification, whether the problem is a charging connector or a dimming method…
[/quote]We were close a few years back. There was a little quarter-sized puck with remote phosphors, ceramic heatsink, the works. Literally one of the points where things stalled was how many screw holes to put on the stupid thing. Philips wanted three, everyone else was happy with two. And it spent so much time futzing around this stupid question that everyone else just moved on.

But boy, we were close.

1 Like

How often do you need to dim a 40-watt-equivalent bulb?

I can’t quite understand why there are so many 40-watt-equivalent LEDs? Were 40-watt bulbs really that commonly used?

1 Like

I got the Phillips ‘squashed’-style LED bulb months ago. My only complaint was that they were 2700K - WTF? Why not make it 5000K?

I’ve had good luck with the Phillips ‘slim’ LED floodlights - no flicker at all, even with an old, guaranteed-to-kill-compact-fluorescents dimmer. They’re shaped like this - and I can’t find them on Phillips’s site.

1 Like

The really exciting thing, for me anyway, is filament LEDs. If you have any light bulbs that are exposed and you want them to look like traditional incandescents, they are the way to go. Candelabras, chandeliers, etc. They look just like an old fashioned incandescent. The larger filament LEDs are able to fit capacitors in the power supply in the base to smooth out the flickering, but the smaller ones have no room for capacitors, and flicker a bit.

See, for example, http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00LD9SN2O/

I hate white light, which is the only issue I have had with these bulbs. I’ve started coughing up the $23 for the GE reveal LEDs since I’m not crafty enough to modify my fixtures to filter the light.

Compelling demo

Because in the US a color temperature of 2700K/3000K is preferred. Even in Europe where they typically shift cooler 4100K is the standard. 5000K looks terrible in comparison to it when the rest of your house is 3000K.

You hate white light so you’re paying a lot extra for a cooler “whiter” light?

Pffft, you posers!!

Yeah, and I hunt my own damn whales too. What’s your excuse?

(I only have two incandescents left in the house, and they are decorative Edison style. Even my vegetable grow shower is led (pumpkins, not the other thing that begins with P))

3 Likes

Energy code. 40 watts is the cutoff for an efficacy (lumens/watt) of 50. More watts than that and you have to jump up to 60, which was quite the hurdle to achieve with a decent white a few years ago when everyone was planning their product lines. Now it’s less so, but manufacturers realized that one clear way to make everyone save energy was limit the quantity of 60 watt lamps they sell in the first place.

I’m still on a wire in a glass envelope though, with LED only in closets. They’re still not there for me and I won’t bring them home.

2 Likes

I actually like the quality of light, and so does my wife. Which is funny because I have a touch of that common red/green problem that is common in men, and I think my wife has a touch of the ol’ tetrachromacy.

2 Likes

If you’re happy with it then I’m happy too.

1 Like

Know what’s even better though? The giant windows I had installed last year :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Yeah, that daylight harvesting is going to save a ton of light bulb electricity…

I just don’t like changing bulbs, and my ears are sensitive enough I can’t stand cfl or fluorescent. (Don’t get me started about t8 ballasts). So solid compromise.

I run a light pipe from the Kerguelen Islands.

All-day daylight. Simple!

I guess that most of the US, being further south than Europe, prefers the warmer colours.

OK, 5000K might be too much, but, at least 4100K would bring out the blue-end colours and make the living space look brighter and cheerier, no?.

Aren’t you worried about becoming the subject of a photography exhibit?

3 Likes

In Warminster, Pennsylvania, which is in Bucks County, just north of Philadelphia, these LED lamps are $2.97. Right now. http://www.homedepot.com/p/Philips-SlimStyle-60W-Equivalent-Soft-White-2700K-A19-Dimmable-LED-Light-Bulb-E-452978/204730356

I have been buying them in bulk and shipping to friends and family all over the country. I’m thinking about buying 500 and re-selling them for $5.00 each and buying dinner with the profit. By the way, these lamps, which have a warm hue very, very similar to a “classic” incandescent lamp, but as many smarter people here have noted, the dimming experience is not the same as an incandescent lamp. When I dim a lamp, I want the light to look more and more like candlelight as they dim. These just get…darker. Same color temperature, just less light output. So it does not go into places where we like a warm, dim light now and then, but 85% of the lights in my home are now the 60w, 40w or the “flat-face” downlight version of this lamp.

1 Like

Everyone has their wheelhouse. Mine is sound, obscure comp sci, and fish puns. I mean absolutely zero disrespect, just like if I talked about the intricacies of crumhorns and serpents.

(Oblig serpent)

1 Like