Photo celebrates unsung NASA software engineer Margaret Hamilton

thanks for the USL link, but downplay her significance?

and yet, women are never mentioned when history talks about the moon landings. To properly highlight the fact this woman was a key player, she should be much more well known than she is. as should the weavers.

ummm, what topic are we talking about?

hr works in conjuncture with management to set salary tiers. management – mostly men – recommend rankings, raises, and promotions. i don’t think you can get away with blaming women – who are less frequently in positions of power – for women’s salary.

[edited for spelling]

3 Likes

The quote “listings of the software developed by the team she was in charge of, the LM and CM on-board flight software team” was written by Ms. Hamilton herself in the Medium article linked to in the story.

Back in the day, I used to fill listing binders with printouts of my work. Two inches of assembly code took me about three months to write, and that was using the friendly PDP-10 instruction set. The five-foot pile of listings in the photo represents several person-years of coding.

2 Likes

fair enough, definitely more than one person was involved.

i guess i feel that if we want to be pedantic for no reason other than to diminish her role as lead and architect, then the caption saying “standing next to the code she wrote” can still be completely true even if she only wrote 1 of those massive 17 volumes.

better than binders of women, i guess.

MRAs come in disguise now?

i know, right? this is why we can’t have nice things. praise a woman’s accomplishments, and there’s got to be something wrong.

1 Like

“Rope code,” hmmm, must have been multi-threading then, no?

1 Like

I saw a computer made out of giant Tinker Toys at the Computer Museum in Boston once. It could play tic-tac-toe.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.