Photobucket archives may sell for billions to train AI

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/04/05/photobucket-archives-may-sell-for-billions-to-train-ai.html

7 Likes

Well, I guess that means they’re at least paying someone for the images, even if it’s still not the people who put in all the work. :unamused:

9 Likes

Too late now, yet it would’ve been a better* thing had there been more of an effort to train 'A.I.'s on carefully curated databases rather than whatever was available and, typically, questionably scraped. (“So we’ve achieved the artificial intelligence of a paranoid 4chan follower” “Well if you wanted reality, that’ll cost ya double”)

(*‘better’ from a particular point of view)

6 Likes

Any bets that they’re selling images that users thought they deleted when Photobucket enshittified many years ago?

19 Likes

So glad that I never used PhotoBucket; this is so fucked up for everyone who did.

18 Likes

What If Omg GIF by Bounce

16 Likes

No bets, but quite likely lawsuits from people who thought that once images were deleted, they were gone forever instead of just getting moved into a dumpster.

Tumblr’s CEO is on the same path, and that site’s userbase is up in arms about it (amongst other things…)

8 Likes

Did their TOS at the time of “deletion” allow for anything close to this use of copyright material?

6 Likes

Not that it will stop them from selling years of my hard work, but I guess it’s time to remove all my art from Tumblr…

There’s literally nowhere that it is safe to share your work.

9 Likes

Sometime last year I got hit with about a hundred emails from Photobucket ‘reminding me’ to backup my photos and to come and ‘renew’ my account. I haven’t been on that site for at least a decade. I have no idea what, if any, photos I might have had on there - not many is a certainty.

I assumed that was a last gasp to boost their revenues before a sale, and I was probably right.

6 Likes

I never did either, but i have pictures up on FB. Good thing they can’t ever do anything with them, though, because of that post I shared there (I HEREBY DO NOT GIVE MY PERMISSION…). Suck it, Zuck!

3 Likes

Not a humblebrag:

I haven’t had an account since 2017, and even then, almost no images were posted on it.

I’m not nearly immune, but I have been actively resisting a lot of ‘the programming’ for a long time now.

12 Likes

Dunno, I’ve never used the service. I host my pictures on my own web server.

4 Likes

On Jan 29th, Tumblr staff user “cyle” posted that they were going to be moving all their art off Tumblr. It was pretty quickly confirmed after that some sort of AI sale was going to happen.
There’s been a campaign for Tumblrinas to use Nightshade to poison images since.
Here’s a series of reblogs with the basics:

6 Likes

Make It Rain Laughing GIF

Is that why photobucket has sent me an email a day for like 8 weeks saying they are going to delete my account and do i want to reactivate it…

In the end i pressed delete just to stop the emails…

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.