Physicists identify new quantum state called "magic"

Von Neumann to Shannon: “You should call it entropy for two reasons: first because that is what the formula is in statistical mechanics but second and more important, as nobody knows what entropy is, whenever you use the term you will always be at an advantage!”

Goto, Nosaka, Nozaki: “Hold our beer.”

9 Likes

7 Likes
13 Likes

That sounds like the kind of name you’d give something when you want to stop trying to understand it.

4 Likes

I like the corollary, although I’m not sure who it is originally attributed to:

“Any sufficiently arcane magic is indistinguishable from technology”

10 Likes

“I’m so sorry, Nan, you were right.
I’ll go to the Charity shop tomorrow and get your potions back.
And your broom.
And your cat.”

Wise woman, my Nan.
Pretty good phycisist, too.

8 Likes

I thought Quintessence was the coolest name for dark energy.

Turns out, though, that it only referred to specific kind of dark energy that hasn’t panned out

7 Likes

Or
Scarlet Witch Marvel GIF by Disney+

4 Likes

“Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality”

8 Likes

Have they discovered one of the Elements of Harmony?

12 Likes

Sometimes I wish the coining of new terms for scientific concepts was left for deliberation by a scientific body more often. Some of these researchers and reporters are so bad at it and couldn’t care less about how useful the terms are for helping others understand the concept and especially not misunderstand the concept.

8 Likes

Nonsense. More name origin stories should be “I lost a bet.”

7 Likes

So still no closer to working teleportation, huh? (No, I will not step into a transporter. That’s just killing the current process and starting up a new one in a different reference. Not the same thing at all!)

6 Likes

I’m very happy that you beat me to this; it is nice to discover someone else whose head went that way.

It is all about the Quantum AI NFTs!

7 Likes

I often see physicists complaining about how they seem to attract disturbing crackpots with grandiose timecube-style ideas.

And yet, I’ve never once heard a physicist asking if their field’s overall style of communication might be encouraging this somehow.

4 Likes

This future is not what I ordered at the counter

2 Likes

Your name is smudler, right?

1 Like

“Physicists have long been fascinated about the possibility that space and time are not fundamental, but rather are derived from something deeper,”

Years ago, in a totally unrelated discussion, I threw this rhetorical question out as a response to a couple of co-workers in our small yet always energetic lunchtime group: "Why should there be anything at all [i.e., including a universe]. Having said that, I immediately felt light-headed, as if the back of my head had popped open and released tremendous pressure. Strangely, I also felt a little frightened as I seriously considered that question and ran through my skull the thought of complete nothingness everywhere, where even “everywhere” would be a non-sequitur. Maybe the question was not so loony.

IMG_8365

• The magic of quantum states is strongly involved in the emergence of spacetime geometry.
  • The magic of quantum states is only slightly involved in the emergence of spacetime geometry.
  • The magic of quantum states is not at all involved in the emergence of spacetime geometry.
  • OMG this is all bullshit :roll_eyes:

0 voters