Physicists identify new quantum state called "magic"

Originally published at: Physicists identify new quantum state called "magic" | Boing Boing

7 Likes

I predict a new bestseller spiritualized book on quantum physics hitting bookstores soon. Only this time they won’t use oriental mysticism, but medieval RPG fantasy…

17 Likes

Here’s the link to the original paper.

@thomdunn The Comments link on the front page goes back to the front page, instead of coming to here.

14 Likes

Chaos magic?

fullmetal alchemist alchemy GIF

Uh oh.

14 Likes

The “God particle” lesson not learned

26 Likes

Top Hat Magic GIF by Brabant in Beelden

9 Likes

Quark, strangeness, charm … and magic … doesn’t scan as well.

12 Likes

Schrödinger’s hare.

9 Likes

Considering how the woo-peddlers jumped all over quantum, they’ll have a field day with this.

22 Likes

Science has proved Magic, faeries, astrology, ghost and Q are real!

10 Likes

I predict there will be a move to defund physics departments and outlaw teaching of high school physics, as it clearly involves magic and witchcraft.

17 Likes

I laugh, but you are probably right if this gets reported on by the fascist echo chamber. Also, was this originally publshed a month ago? I mean, this is May 1, not April 1.

14 Likes
10 Likes

Has anybody tried to figure out how the ever-lovin’ hell The Simpsons seem to have a direct line to the future? I have questions!

12 Likes

I’m guessing it’s how they always had a few history nerds on the writing staff (going all the way back to when they had a certain history major from Harvard named Conan on the writing team)

13 Likes

Well that’s not going to help anyone who’s trying to get Science taken seriously in political realms.

5 Likes

(credit Oglaf, which is NSFW)

21 Likes

Doug knew.

11 Likes

Ok, so in physics, having new names that “make sense” is out of the question because the phenomena themselves barely make sense, and nobody understands them anyway. But physicists should be forced to outsource the naming to sci-fi authors who might at least come up with some impressive sounding technobabble.

13 Likes

Shwodingers wabbit
Elmer Fudd What GIF by Looney Tunes

10 Likes