Pink Trombone is an online voice synthesizer with a difference

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2017/03/19/pink-trombone-is-an-online-voi.html

My Klatt is off to you, sir!

And here I thought it was going to be something unsavory.

You play the “Pink Trombone” by moving your tongue and soft pallet?

LOL…is this the fellatio version of Lickster that new cunnilingus app?

It is unsavory. The pink ones are sweet. Bubblegum flavor.

the rusty ones are savory. Caramelization.

Brown Tuba ain’t too shabby niether.

Is this not built into your elf ear phones?

Would be funny to record a bunch and then make an animation using the results as character voices in some sort of short narrative.

I need to find some way to write a script that maps the parameters to standard midi note values/mod/pitch sends.

I almost got it to say “Hey You”, but it sounds like a bad Jeremy Louis impersonation done by a robot that’s had a concussion.

So awesome.

Ohhhhhh YEAaaaahhhhhh

https://twitter.com/zacharyjohnson/status/843599766516891648

It doesn’t work quite so well when you have a mouse instead of a touchscreen, but it’s still entertaining.

Reminds me of when I tried making an alphabet based on mouth shapes expressed for each letter.

You’re thinking of purple oboe.

I’m totally shocked about how well you can model the human vocal apparatus in less than 2000 lines of code.

Can anyone figure out how to do throat singing with this? Like, get some overtones going…

I’ve been at this for hours and my wife completely fails to demonstrate any sense of awe. Maybe I’m doing it wrong…

It doesn’t seem to include the subvocal folds in the model. Which is what you buzz when throat singing.

I figured out how to use my subvocal folds voluntarily. It’s added a lot of gravitas to my groans and huffy protestations at work.

I also use it when saying “uh”. To catch people off guard. They don’t expect me to sound like Johnny Cash when I’m straining for an answer.

Above: 1967, AT&T Labs

I can’t find a video that explained why many of the common text-to-speech voices of the 80s had a slight Scottish accent. Supposedly it was because the engineer who created it was Scottish. There was a great video that showed software mimicking the parts needed to make vocal sounds on a monochrome crt. The software allowed for granular manipulation of the voice, but also had single keys to quickly change how the digital voice box sounded. I think I even remember a display at the Museum of Science and Industry that showed speech synthesis through crude digital modeling.

Below: 1939- Voder (Short and worth watching to see early speech synthesis)

Holy crap, if that VODER video is real, mark me down as seriously impressed.

Totally real. The history behind the Voder is super interesting.