"Piss poor design" and "supervised by monkeys": New documents show what Boeing employees really thought of 737 Max

“This is not BMO bank at its best”

4 Likes

Too bad Boeing’s dead passengers didn’t have regular parachutes.

2 Likes

Arguably the military-industrial-political complex.
Right now, the corporate sector still needs a front to put the ‘nothing to see here, all we do is perfectly legal’ laws it writes for itself into effect.

3 Likes

I also considered adding the prison-industrial complex…

Basically, the same handful of bastard billionaires own pretty much everything, including the government. It’s an oligarchy.

5 Likes

Will the monkey listen?

1 Like

Another (sub?) sector; they are in charge of creating a slave labour force.

Meanwhile, the military sector is slowly being transformed from an active driver of economic and political decisions into some sort of warrior class to serve and protect the ruling class. Top echelon may consider themselves as part as the ruling class as long as they remember their place. The rest is cannon fodder.

And it’s not even a massive conspiracy masterminded by evil geniuses - this is just what unchecked capitalism does if you let it.

3 Likes

I think that’s not only due to the aircraft itself, but also due to the corner Boeing put themselves in with the FAA. Certifying authorities are supposed to ensure safety, but they also want to keep the customer happy (or if they’re state actors, the national economy). So usually when they find an issue that leaves room for interpretation regarding the standard (and there is no such thing as an unambiguous standard for non-trivial items) they will often be forthcoming and accept it. However, once you’re burnt like the FAA was with the MAX, this amicability is lost. The FAA people don’t want to be dragged to court for negligence should another MAX fall out of the sky, ever, for whatever reason. So they will now reject everything out of the “grey zone” that would normally be accepted. It’s basically impossible to get a product certified that way. Bottom line is, I’d wager we will never see a MAX fly again.

2 Likes

“Aerospace engineers too polite to voice their concerns kill 346 people with kindness”?

Candid, yes, but not adversarial. For most people, once they feel offended or threatened, their brain will revert to fight-or-flight. They will tend to ignore what you are trying to tell them, and will only think of how to get back control of the social situation. There’s exceptions though, sometimes a well placed curse word can wake people up, but it shouldn’t be the default.

1 Like

Yup. I’m a SW engineer, the outfit I work for was really nice when I joined them, had a good product, capable people, interesting projects… then we were bought out, the new owner installed outside management who promised them the blue sky, scrapped the successful product, degraded every engineer to an agile code monkey, the best people left, and now we’re pretty much on a Boeing path.

2 Likes

Yay! Private equity to the rescue!
/s

2 Likes

That applies to software companies too, but less so than manufacturing companies, because software has a lot more room for error, and a lot more ability to patch after the fact. That’s not to say that MBAs can’t ruin a software company too, but the failure modes for software are not nearly as stark as they are in manufacturing, and the amount of capital equipment you need to get a return on is vastly smaller.

it depends.

1 Like

What if what you are manufacturing is essentially a flying computer?

1 Like

The damage is much worse than that

FAA certifications were accepted at face value all over the world, on the believe that the systems in place were robust and guaranteed safety. I’m afraid this is no more

EASA has already said that will not accept any FAA certification and will do their own, and other agencies in the world will follow.

And now that were are going down that route, I think is fair to ask the FAA what other systems where self-certified by the manufacturer, and they better come clean soon before another plane falls from the sky and they close the entire US aviation industry

The MAX is done for, this is clear, now it remains to see whether Boeing is allowed to continue selling other planes

3 Likes

The MAX will be given a new name, a new logo, and relaunched in a fantastic spectacle that completely overlooks the problems. I wouldnt be surprised if Boeing is spending as much on a rebranding campaign as they are on engineering the fix to the MAX.

It doesn’t matter how much you rebrand the plane if it is not allowed to fly the airspace of half of the planet

The FAA might lean a bit towards boeing, but EASA has no reason to, in fact it has many to go against

This situation is gold for airbus, the bigger the admin quagmire the healthier the sales book

2 Likes

What was Boeing through their heads? Emails show staff wouldn’t put their families on a 737 Max over safety fears

Those all look like mutual funds. Some of them might even be index funds. The very opposite of “private equity.”

This seems like fine time to remind everyone that the US is about to let pork producers handle their own inspections: (Plants started applying for this in December 2019)

This article is full of bad.
From a USDA inspector who was part of the pilot project:

Hog carcasses whizzed by him and the plant-paid inspectors at speeds so fast that fecal contamination – an important indicator for E. coli and salmonella – could not be detected.

And

In May 2013, the USDA’s inspector general issued a report that found three of the five plants in the trial program had numerous health and safety violations. Safety records at those three plants were worse than those at hundreds of other U.S. hog plants that continued to operate under the traditional system, auditors found.

A separate September 2013 Government Accountability Office report determined that the five-plant trial program was too small to “provide reasonable assurance that any conclusions can apply more broadly to the universe of 608 hog plants in the United States.”

No independent government assessments of the program have been done since the 2013 reports.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.